Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Peter,

Thanks for the reply. Well, that is what I worry the most, getting all the old statements back, but it is what I have to deal with, looks like. Thanks. :-)

Both accounts are in some decent sum and your suggestion of selling off small amount at a time each year won't work anymore. But, I will call the brokerage firm and stop contributing to the same funds at least.

I do have another question. This might be investment question than tax. I just received 1099 from both of these accounts. Last year, both showed around $3000-$4000 distribution. This year, that amount has gone up to more than $10,000 each. I think I am in for a large unpaid tax this year, even if I file individual returns for each of them.

So, am I better off selling the fund and move to index fund or stocks to minimize the annual distribution and its tax?

Tax question:
When I eventually sell the fund and recalculate the cost base, should I deduct the tax that I have already paid over the years, from the gain? Otherwise, I would be double taxed, right?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.