Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Peter;

The site is Seeking Alpha and my thought process is sort of straightforward as to why. Years ago I used to do really long in-depth equity research. It would take me weeks and weeks to collect my thoughts similarly to the way you collect yours.

Like you, I would post my work on various sites with the hope of getting feedback on my conclusions about a particular stock. The responses I got were almost all the same. Too long, too much information, no graphs, no charts, you didn't provide a clear valuation, blah blah blah.

One of the places I used to post was Seeking Alpha. One day, someone told me in a reply to one of my posts, I should become a Seeking Alpha contributor. So I did, or more specifically I was. Now I just post to my blog over there.

The reason I was a contributor and no long am, is because I don't do in-depth research anymore, except for my own use, and I don't do charts and graphs. Those sorts of things are requirements to be a contributor at Seeking Alpha, and since you are spending the kind of time I know it takes to produce the research you produce, I just thought maybe you could make some beer money for your efforts, while you hopefully find a great stock to invest in.

This link (https://seekingalpha.com/article/4286752-buying-4-dividend-s...) which is a random selection will take you to an article over there so you can see what I am talking about. Just think standard Fooldom front page article on steroids and you'll get the idea.

Wax
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 12
JustMe;

To answer your question, I would be out. The reason is because I don't have any investment interests in financial type companies such as banks or insurance companies.

That aside, I must tell you that the effort you have put into the research, not just for this stock but others you have shared on this board, is really well done. Equity research of this caliber may be a hobby for you or something you do for employment, but regardless, as comprehensive as it is, you might want to consider posting some of your work exclusively to other sites if you don't already.

There is one in particular that loves lengthy in-depth research such as you provide and with the addition of a few charts and graphs, would probably pay you nicely for your efforts.

Anyway, great job with Markel.

Wax
No. of Recommendations: 0
Great in-depth post, JustMee01!

I'll stick with the Big Berkshire for now, but keep an eye on MKL for a bit.

Cheers!
Murph
BO and MFPP Home Fool
(no MKL position; long BRK)
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi Wax,

Thanks for the kind words. This is just a hobby. I do pick some of my own stocks in our investments. Much of what I've written about is related to tires that I'm kicking. My #1 holding is BRK, so I naturally have an interest in insurers. Buffett educates his shareholders well. AFL is a company that I've owned over the years as well.

I do not blog any of my research. I'm posting here for feedback and to organize my thoughts more formally. I can be a chaotic thinker, and getting it written down makes me focus on what I actually believe to be important. Sometimes I don't know what that is until I'm done.

I did blog for TMF a number of years back before they closed most of their blogging service when Yahoo Finance changed its comp structure. I just never got back to finding another place. There are many things about it that are entertaining. As a retired scientist, I like analyzing data and financials provide lots of data to churn.

There is one in particular that loves lengthy in-depth research such as you provide and with the addition of a few charts and graphs, would probably pay you nicely for your efforts.

Out of curiosity, what website are you referring to?

Peter
No. of Recommendations: 6
Peter;

The site is Seeking Alpha and my thought process is sort of straightforward as to why. Years ago I used to do really long in-depth equity research. It would take me weeks and weeks to collect my thoughts similarly to the way you collect yours.

Like you, I would post my work on various sites with the hope of getting feedback on my conclusions about a particular stock. The responses I got were almost all the same. Too long, too much information, no graphs, no charts, you didn't provide a clear valuation, blah blah blah.

One of the places I used to post was Seeking Alpha. One day, someone told me in a reply to one of my posts, I should become a Seeking Alpha contributor. So I did, or more specifically I was. Now I just post to my blog over there.

The reason I was a contributor and no long am, is because I don't do in-depth research anymore, except for my own use, and I don't do charts and graphs. Those sorts of things are requirements to be a contributor at Seeking Alpha, and since you are spending the kind of time I know it takes to produce the research you produce, I just thought maybe you could make some beer money for your efforts, while you hopefully find a great stock to invest in.

This link (https://seekingalpha.com/article/4286752-buying-4-dividend-s...) which is a random selection will take you to an article over there so you can see what I am talking about. Just think standard Fooldom front page article on steroids and you'll get the idea.

Wax