Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Old machine, anyone else have machines they can't part with?

nag
Print the post Back To Top
I made the mistake of trading in my trusty 30yr old Bernina on a new model. Several years later, still regretting it. It was a real workhorse and I really knew that machine. I wore the gears out and it needed several hundred dollars worth of repair....should have fixed it.

*sigh*

Isewquilts....how long will your Pfaff be MIA?
No. of Recommendations: 1
Maybe it will come sometime next week.

I sure miss it!

I bought a Passport 3.0 (in the covid jam) but it's not the same.
Want my old machine back!
It's just a workhorse - precise and dependable...until this.

nag
who sews quilts too...well actually masks and an occasional wall hanging.
big projects are in the past
I bought a “in case of emergency” machine a few years back, a lower priced Janome. If my Bernina is out of commission for some reason, I have a backup. Money well spent, I’ve used it several times.

Isewquilts
Maybe this will become my 'emergency Passport'

Janome was New Home wasn't it?
Had a friend that bought a high end one - it did embroidery and everything.

:-)

nag
I made the mistake of trading in my trusty 30yr old Bernina on a new model.

I'm curious which machine you bought. I bought a Bernina 590 about 2 years ago, and although it had one heck of a learning curve, I love it. I've been working on learning the embroidery, and have been having a lot of fun with it. Just made the arched version of this peacock https://embroideryonline.com/picturesque-peacock/ and am very happy with how it came out.
Janome was New Home wasn't it?

Yes. I bought a New Home Memory Craft 8000 back in the summer of 1991 (I know this because I had just had my kids, and they were still in the hospital), and loved that machine. I had it for 26 years before I took it to one of those clean-you-own-machine classes where it wouldn't go back together, and the shop ended up frying both boards when they tried to do it. They did buy me a replacement 10,000, but I never bonded with that machine, and bought the Bernina 590 instead. I do still have that replacement machine as a back-up, but I doubt it will see much use.

I am loving my Bernina and learning how to do the embroidery as well as sewing up a storm.
2gifts

Yes, my friend had the New Home 8000 - she loved it! Shame about the board frying.

My machine was from the same era, a Pfaff 1475 - the main board just went - I decided to get it fixed and found one remaining shop that actually worked for Pfaff when it was still a German made machine.
They bought up tons of parts when they found out that manufacturing would no longer be in Germany.

The new machine I got is just ok or maybe it's me...as you say, we haven't really bonded.

nag
they just don't make 'em like they used to!
2gifts - that pattern is Amazing!

Wow have machines come a long way.

Very nice!

nag
2gifts, I traded in my 1230 on a 640. Awhile later I decided I wanted more harp space, so I bought a 740. My 640 lives in AL, and I use it primarily for piecing. My 740 lives in WI and I use it primarily for machine quilting. I don’t do embroidery.
The 640 is a little...finicky. The 740 is a DREAM.

Isewquilts
Anybody interesting in a Pfaff Passport 3?

Not sure that's allowed here...but I have one that's not used due to my Pfaff 1475 being repaired.

nag