Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
OK,

So after the note on PKD -- prices tended to take off with the oil jump. I actually started on PGN (Paragon Offshore) which when I looked first at it -- it was trading at/around $1.30s then jumped to $2.00. It is currently trading in the $1.60s.

Again that's largely driven in my opinion by the rebound in oil prices over the past couple of months.

Saying that -- PGN is a carve out from Noble Corporation (NE) and included older offshore drilling rigs (jackups/floaters). The company also went out and purchased Prospector to add to its jackup fleet.

The upside is largely on the otherside of the oil price chasm and what does the contracting environment look like for Paragon's rigs in 2016/2017. If utilization rates improve, rigs that were coldstacked are brought back on line, and dayrates improve -- EPS could be a huge rebound.

If its healthy then there is the potential to earn $4 per share like in 2013 and 2014. Again the stock is trading at $1.60 today. PGN IPOd in 2014 in the $14-$15 range

Consensus EPS for 2016 is a loss of $1.10 after making $0.53 this year. Q1'15 earned $0.69 and adjusted $0.47 after some non-operating gains -- sold a rig and gain on debt extinguishment.

A rough model for 2017 suggests EPS back in the $1-$2 range depending on assumptions used for utilization and dayrates as well as rigs in play. (There isn't much visibility.)

The upside though again is driven by the leverage of the assets in play. Even if I assume $234 million in EBIT in 2017 based on today's estimate of invested capital -- the return is 9% (EBIT/(NWC+FA)).

So the situation is a ridiculously low equity value "if" the company can make it through the current oil price / capex environment. The equity value will be much, much higher if the firm can earn ~$1.50 in 2017.

Therefore there is significant upside but significant uncertainty. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on this one so I'll put this one on the watchlist. I think the risk-to-reward is interesting but we could do better.

chessburger
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.