Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
phantomdiver,

I found this board through Selena's List. It looks like fun.

I've been selling paperbacks on half.com for exactly a year and have netted $1,500 after mailing costs and half's commission on 375 books sold. Just today I got orders for six books.

My inventory usually stays at about 125 books. That way I can keep it manageable and make sure I stay on top of what is selling and keep my pricing competitive. I have the highest rating and am conservaative in describing each book so the buyer is satisfied. I think they will chose a seller who has a high rating and will be willing to pay a little more. I found a good source for bubble envelopes for mailing at less than $.20 each in quantities of 250.

I specifically look for those books which are either just issued or more often are out of print and in demand. I have sold paperbacks as high as $20 and they were still priced competitively!

My sources are charity and thrift stores where the prices are usually about $.50 or less per book. Then our library has a fantastic book sale twice a year. I help set up and sort for it and then can choose books ahead of time. Sometimes I take my thrift store purchases and trade them at used book stores 2 for 1. If it is priced below 1/4 retail at half, I don't list it, but save it for trading. A lot of the books I sell are also ones that I've been looking for so I also get to read them before I sell them.

I've always been book crazy and this has turned into a fun hobby for me and the post office has gotten to know me very well!

Carol
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.