Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I'm a regular reader of this board, but this is the first time I've posted. I've seen some helpful advice given in the past here, and I was hoping to get help with a problem where a pharmacy misfilled a prescription.

My girlfriend was given a prescription for an antiobiotic called Bactrim. She had taken this before and had no side effects. After 1 1/2 days of taking the prescription, she started having severe headaches, sensitivity to light, nausea, blurry vision. She became suspicious of the drug & examined the label, which was correct. Bactrim, in double-strength tablets, was the usual dosage for adults.

She then continued to take the pills for another day, and felt the side-effect symptoms worsen. That night she counted the pills left, and realized the quantity given to her by the pharmacy was incorrect, and she thought - if the quantity is wrong, what else is wrong with these pills? Upon examination, the pills themselves read "Augmentin," even though the label said Bactrim. She quickly looked online to find out that Augmentin is a penicillin-based antibiotic, to which she is allergic. Let me repeat again, THE LABEL SAID BACTRIM, BUT THE PILLS WERE AUGMENTIN. The quantity was not correct, and who knows what the dosage of the Augmentin in the bottle was.

She and I immediately went to our local CVS pharmacy, where the pharmacist on duty took the following actions:
1. He gave her a new prescription of Bactrim.
2. Informed us that he was making a report of the error to leave for the pharmacist who was on duty when the misfill occurred.
3. When my girlfriend asked him whether or not to go to the ER to have the possible allergic reaction assessed, the pharmacist replied that she should NOT GO TO THE ER, without giving any information that suggested that he had a clue about either of the drugs. We don't know why he advised this, other than to try to cover up the misfill.

I've heard that pharmacy workers work long hours and don't have much time to spend with each customers, but I don't think that should be an excuse for messing up a prescription.

We were both really upset and panicky after going to the drugstore, and of course went to the hospital. There we had to wait for a few hours, deal with the unhelpful staff, etc, etc but in the end it turned out that she was okay. The mistreatment we got at the hospital is another issue I might post about later, if I get time, because I definitely want to complain. It appears that after she stopped taking the incorrect prescription, the short term side effects subsided. However, the ER doctor and other doctors shes contacted by phone seemed reluctant to talk about any long term side effects.

The pharmacy that did this was a MAJOR chain and from researching on the web I've seen that these misfills are quite common. I can't believe this is acceptable.

For the pharmacy misfill, does anyone know of an agency, organization, etc. with which she can file a report? We've been looking for information on existing pharmacy policy, and groups that try to make some changes so that the number of misfills can be reduced. I wish there was someway to make the public more aware of this sort of thing or to hold the pharmacy responsible.

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
>> For the pharmacy misfill, does anyone know of an agency, organization, etc. with which she can file a report?

The state Board of Pharmacy.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Choska,

Like TchrP said,

The state Board of Pharmacy,

However, in reading your posting, there are TWO REPORTABLE OFFENSES!!

1) The wrong prescription being filled.

2) Telling you NOT TO GOTO THE ER --- Allergic reactions can range from mild to severe -- sound like your significant other was pushing the envelope of becoming severe!!

Look in the yellow pages under state agencies -- and look for the Board of Pharmacy.

I can tell you, FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, that once a complaint is filed, you WILL NOT HEAR what the outcome/discipline taken against the pharmacist will be.

They may contact you personally to question you and clear up any questions they may have during the investigation.

Just my two cents

Jeff
I think maybe finding that little bird that tells folks things [as in "a little bird told me"] and having him tell the local TV consumer advocate might be entertaining, they love this sort of stuff. Can your S.O. turn blue and swell up at will? Like when the camera crew shows up??

Raggmopp
No. of Recommendations: 2
Nowhere in your post did you mention contacting the physician that prescribed the medication. You need to do that. Your friend's chart needs to be marked as "penicillan reaction" so that the info always follows her around. Even consider a medical alert bracelet. People can die from adverse drug reactions.
Good luck in pursuing a case against CVS.
No. of Recommendations: 3
While you're contacting the state pharmacy board, and the local consumer advocates, you might also consider a letter to the president of CVS, with a copy directed to the manager of the store where this happened. Leaving a note for the other pharmacist explaining that he nearly killed someone doesn't quite fill the bill for apologies as far as I'm concerned. What if she hadn't double-checked, and just assumed that this was a generic name for the drug she should be taking?

I hope you get more response than you have so far. Hang in there and pursue the case.

Nancy

> Nowhere in your post did you mention contacting the physician that
> prescribed the medication. You need to do that. Your friend's chart
> needs to be marked as "penicillan reaction" so that the info always
> follows her around. Even consider a medical alert bracelet. People
> can die from adverse drug reactions.
> Good luck in pursuing a case against CVS.

Actually, she had told her doctor about the allergy, and that was why he hadn't prescribed her anything penicillin-based. It was only the pharmacy's fault.

Thanks to everyone for their advice so far, she appreciates it all. She's composing a letter now to the state Board of Pharmacy.
Hi Andy,

Regardless of what the pharmacist told you, I hope your girlfriend did go to a doctor or to the ER, if for nothing else, just to be checked.

Allergies to pennicillin can be deadly, and you don't want to take any chances with that.

Please let us know how she is, and what the outcome of this was.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
No. of Recommendations: 3
...However, the ER doctor and other doctors shes contacted by phone seemed reluctant to talk about any long term side effects....

I'm a doctor, and I am not reluctant to talk about this. Since she was not admitted to the hospital, I assume that she did not have an anaphylactic reaction, nor did she have subsequent repiratory failure, nor did she have brain damage from the respiratory failure that she didn't have due to her not having an anaphylactic reaction. So, there are no long term effects, though there could have been if all of the above had happened. So don't worry. No problems this time.

The pharmacy that did this was a MAJOR chain and from researching on the web I've seen that these misfills are quite common. I can't believe this is acceptable.

It is not.

For the pharmacy misfill, does anyone know of an agency, organization, etc. with which she can file a report?

The FDA and/or the DEA.

FF
I'm a doctor
===*===

Ooooooo, do you play one on TV too? : Þ

'Mopp
Sick, but not needing a doctor.

Uh...let's not rush to conclusions.

;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Uh...let's not rush to conclusions.
===*===

pthlbthlbthlbthlbthlbthlb ain't you left for the islands yet?

Well, not the kind you find in a general hospital emergency room, perhaps.

But certain other kinds of doctors, yes.

Nancy
who has six doctors
But certain other kinds of doctors, yes.
===*===

pthlbthlbthlbthlbthlb fool wit me and I'll send you off to them islands wit ol' Doofus.

'Moppo
Ooooooo, do you play one on TV too? : Þ

No, but I'm willing.... They make more money, and all the nice patients live, while the scum die.

Are you sure you don't need one???? ;^)

FF
fool wit me and I'll send you off to them islands wit ol' Doofus.

Harr, and then who'll be part o' your fleet? Ye'll have to sail the seven sails alone, without the Brigand of Bristol and the Victor of the Madagascar Straits.

Harr.

Cap'n Nefarious Nan of the dark ship Hostile Takeover
Are you sure you don't need one?
===*===

Well probably, or at least maybe a different one. My current one claimed I was diabetic until I called her on it. But she did manage to properly determine I was overweight [not tough] and hypertensive [also not tough]. But I like my Doctor, I just suspect she carried a 2.0 in Med School and factor that into our visits.

'Mopp
the dark ship Hostile Takeover

Ahhh, I wuz thinkin' to meself that looked like the Takeover sailin' into the bay.

Now, mates, I keep fergettin' who it is at the helm of that other great dread ship, the Scarlet Permanent Assurance...who's her cap'n these days?

Blackmare

sewing up the tattered Jolly Roger
Harr, and then who'll be part o' your fleet? Ye'll have to sail the seven sails alone, without the Brigand of Bristol and the Victor of the Madagascar Straits.

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy...

The Pirate King refers to yours truly as "Ol' Doofus" and all you're concerned about is who'll be part o' your fleet?

Sheesh!

I'm housebroken over this!

Tony
...but I still am...

Ol' Doof----er---Off2Aruba
I'm housebroken over this!

'Bout time.

Nancy
Who's been housebroken for ages. Poor Lee.
The Pirate King refers to yours truly as "Ol' Doofus"
===*===

I'm sorry, did I misspel "Doofus" [I thought that was the correct spelling]?

pthlbthlbthlbthlbthlb fool wit me and I'll send you off to them islands wit ol' Doofus.

Is that a threat or a promise?

Kaiti
Is that a threat or a promise?
===*===

I guess that kinda depends on how you feel about Tony [yeah yeah, I just know that using depends and Tony in the same sentence is gonna come back to haunt me].
Heck with Tony, I just want you to pay for a vaca for me! :-)

Kaiti
Heck with Tony, I just want you to pay for a vaca for me!
===*===

Trust me, you'd hate any place I could afford to sent you this year. Blame Mr. NASDAQ.

Who's been housebroken for ages. Poor Lee.

Poor Lee? Well, that 'depends'.

Ha!!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
I'm sorry, did I misspel "Doofus" [I thought that was the correct spelling]?

And there I was planning to buy you a drink (and then drink it for you) on the beach.

Just forget it now, buster!

:-D

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
And there I was planning to buy you a drink (and then drink it for you) on the beach.

I can just imagine them now, this long line of drinks and each glass decorated.

One with an pirate skull bones, one with a moose, one with a fiddle, one with a sturgeon, one with an ice cube, one with a heater, one with a joke book, one with a SUV, one with a fancy hat, and so on all down the beach.

Have a good time and think about us as you get drunk:)

Utahtea

Her Royal Majesty the eternal Queen of Aruba's Isle of Revenge

===*===

Oh yeah? Well you don't want me using you, sun and beach in the same sentence, trust me. WOOT! : Þ

'Mopp
<some days I just crack myself up>
Oh yeah? Well you don't want me using you, sun and beach in the same sentence, trust me. WOOT! : Þ

LOL! I get it!! :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

'Mopp
<some days I just crack myself up>

I must be easy, because you crack me up all the time:)

WOOT : Þ

Utahtea

Her Royal Majesty the eternal Queen of Aruba's Isle of Revenge

I must be easy, because you crack me up all the time
===*===

Aw, thanks 'Tea <blush> <kick small rock>