Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 87
Technology can be gee wiz still.

Over the past year, my iBook has helped me analyze data and prepare my dissertation for review by my committee. Today, my iBook helped me present my findings to my committee, my Ph.D defense.

I passed! Now I'm Dr. FoolBalance!

How my iBook helped is too numerous to itemize completely. Its portability meant I always had it with me wherever I went. Its power meant it never choked running SPSS or JMP for my data analyses. Its CD-RW capability meant I was able to consistently make back-ups of my files and feel secure.

But, today was when it shone. One of my committee members was located about 300 miles away. He is a Mac fan also, has Panther on his G4 Powerbook. I wanted him to participate fully, so iSight comes to the rescue. An iSight camera connected to my iBook streaming video to the internet. Same iBook was running my presentation, which I put together over the past week using Keynote, connected to a projector, of course.

Worked flawlessly. Even when we lost the remote committee member for a few seconds, iChatAV immediately announced him reconnecting to AIM so I could stop the presentation and send an invite for video chat, reconnecting him. Then I relaunched the presentation where it left off. All went perfectly. We supplemented the weak speakers of the iBook with external speakers. When I was reconnecting the remote person, a couple of people in the room who had not been there for the initial set up were heard to whisper: Cool!

I'm pleased to announce my new accomplishment here, on the Apple board, it being one of my 'home' boards at TMF, and my Mac making such a large contribution.

Hey Apple! Thanks!

Paul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.