Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

My spouse and I will not get the advance payment of the 2008 tax credit. We filed our 2007 taxes, and our AGI is too high to qualify. However, assuming present course of events, we will have our first child and our income will drop enough to allow us to receive the credit when we file in 2008. It'll be complex to estimate our 2008 taxes. Our income level depends on when baby comes (expected in June), when spouse goes back to work part-time, how much money we donate to charity--we give 10% to our religious organization--and we live in Texas so our sales tax probably won't, but may be deductible. I can deal with those scenarios individually. I'd like to update our W4's so that we aren't loaning excess money to the treasury, and also to avoid the possibility of underwitholding penalties.

Any tips on how the credit will further obfuscate this? I can post more specifics if necessary.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.