Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Phil said:Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it sounds to me like you're saying that
something happening later in 2002 could upset the prior year safe harbor
payments that were made in time for the 4/15/2002 ES deadline. I don't see
how that could happen. Of course, if anticipated withholding didn't happen
later in the year, ES payments would have to be increased to take up the
slack, but the withholding could be applied to the 2002 payment schedule
under the actual date rule, thus leaving the taxpayer free from penalty.

Phil: Presume safe harbor for prior year is $10,000 and he's making 4 equal and on time installments of $1,000 each depending on $6,000 of withholding later in the year and using the Short Method. If he loses his job and has to pay installments in June, Sept and/or next January of $6,000 he's short on the first installment. Also, you can't use the actual date rule with the Short Method and the problem I posed was no withholding because he lost his job and had to free lance on 1099 income. Shifting to the Regular Method he's still short in the first quarter and using the AI Method is no help with large first quarter income. ed
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.