Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for your help but I recently learned that in Nov 1995, the NY Court of Appeals ruled that non-residents receiving stock options, even when retired must declare the tax in NY in addition to their home state. I got a copy of the document TSB-M-95-(3)1. I have another question concerning the handling of the stock options on my federal return that I hope you can answer. Because I exercised my options using a cashless method, I had to sell shares of stock. I received a W-2 from Bell Atlantic showing the income and taxes taken out but also received a 1099-B from the company that handled the exercise. My question is what do I do with these documents? Do I enter the W-2 amount as income on line 7, 1040 with applicable taxes taken or do I enter the amounts on a schedule D. Or do I enter it in both places, but that doesn't make sense. I appreciate any help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.