Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Phil wrote,
...The payor issues the 1099-MISC. The recipient reports the income and expenses from this endeavor on Schedule C (or C-EZ) of the 1040, whcih feeds Schedule SE, which is where the self-employment tax is computed.

I suggest you get a copy of Publication 334. If this is an ongoing business activity, an accountant would also be a useful expense.

Phil or anyone who can help,

Along the same lines, I received a 1099-MISC from a company I helped out this year for a short time. Total amount of income for my services, reported as nonemplyee compensation, was $200.

I looked at my 1040 instructions and it appears you cannot file this income on the line for "other income" and I must use Schedule C. However, Schedule C requires more info on the business that I have handy.

Before I track down the additional info I need, is there a lower limit or exempt amount for what must be reported, and if so, does this amount ($200) look like it's within that limit? I didn't see anything in Schedule C that specified a lower limit for reporting.

As a side note, when I reviewed the instructions for 1099-MISC, it appeared that the employer did not have to file the 1099-MISC for me due to the amount being less than $600. Is this correct, because if so, it caused a bit of a tax headache for me...

Thanks for any help you can provide.
-Scott (slaramee)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.