Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Philip,

That was a great explanation. Thanks! However you brought up several other aspects of investing that I am wrestling with now. I recently joined HG and as we say in the military, the learning curve has gone vertical. I have been scouring Fool articles on how to value stocks, printed articles to study, created work sheets I can use to try my hand at DD etc. However, I am finding that when I work the numbers I, 1) I am not sure that I understand what they are always telling me. 2) That I understand the numbers well enough to set a "value" of what I think the stock should be. I read the HG boards and track the DD work of the other members and I have noticed that many members use different parameters in their DD work, which I find many times more confusing than enlightening. Another aspect you bring up is your margin of safety. I am not sure what my margin should be. The last aspect is you say you check the performance of your picks every quarter. I am finding that, 1) No two companies quarters end in the same month. 2) Doing a quarterly reviews are very time consuming. I am not saying that I don't want to invest the time. I am saying that my lack of knowledge prevents me from being able to do this in a timely manner, which brings us back to my first two points. I have been trying to “chart a course” thru the Fool labyrinth of knowledge but I must say that I loose my way more times than not. I have invested in mutual funds for years and have always wanted to learn about individual security investing. I understand that most mutual funds can't out-perform the market. I have a few of these funds myself and I am convinced that I can do better with the right stocks. Any suggestions on how I should proceed.

Thanks,
Keith
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.