Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

As far as how to figure it out, by the way, you can probably call payroll and ask them how to figure out how much $$$ each exemption is worth in terms of federal taxes. Then just take the amount of your federal refund and divide it by that number, then increase your exemptions by that amount.

Example: Let's say I'm claiming 3 exemptions and I just got an $1800 refund from Uncle Sam. My payroll department tells me that 1 exemption is equal to about $600 in federal taxes withheld. So I figure $1800 / $600 = 3 exemptions, so I change my exemptions on my W-4 from 3 to 6.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.