Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I really like the pho from a local shop. It's possible to consume the broth and vegetables (Basil, cilantro, bean sprouts, lime) and reject the noodles, ie low carbing the soup.

I sometimes get pho take out, and, at home, use only the broth and vegetables.

I sometimes get just the broth for take out.
Today, I heated a L of broth (one serving) and added 1/2 bag of the "prepared salad" cruciferous vegetables*, from the local grocery story's bagged salad section.

I'm right pleased with the outcome.
It's not the most LBYM choice... $4/ 2-servings salad, $5/1L broth... so $6-$7 per serving?

ASSUMING there was no sugar added to the broth, at the restaurant, this is a "good carb", low calorie meal?

🤔
ralph

AFAIK, the star ingredient that differentiates pho broth from regular "broth", is the slight licorice flavor of Star Anise, and the use of Chinese 5-spice.

* Here is Trader Joe's version of the ready-made, bagged, cruciferous salad:
https://thedinnershift.com/weeknight-recipes/30-minutes-or-l...

I would also be happy to use a "lettuce" salad mix.
Using the prepared bagged salad gets me a variety of different cruciferous greens, as well as a couple other vegetables... without having to buy "bulk" and throw the left overs away.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.