Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Phoofie writes:

Thanks, Bob. My problem is that since 1999 tax year, I have contributed nondeductible $6,000 to my IRA (for tax years 1999, 2000, 2001. Now, unexpectedly, we have an opportunity to buy adjoining land to our residence and the only place I have $ is in IRA's and Roth IRA's that are now worth about 2/3 of the taxed money we contributed... loss only, no gains at all!

Can I get out of these with no penalty?

I reply:

Under those circumstances, your withdrawals will be tax free. Moreover, my understanding is that since you're cleaning out the traditional IRA entirely, you can claim your loss as a miscellaneous deduction subject to the 2% floor. --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.