Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Physiotherapy (or physical therapy in the US), chiropractic, and osteopathy aren't the only musculoskeletal professions. There are various types of massage therapy, which includes trigger point massage, deep tissue massage, and others. There is tui-na massage therapy, which is a traditional Chinese approach and can do absolutely amazing things for injuries, healing, pain (acute and chronic) without being combined with other interventions. There are special techniques for physical therapy for back issues. There is Feldenkreis Therapy, which is very hands on and involves a kind of brain-muscle "relearning" to replace injurious ways of moving with beneficial ones, and it can also be very "liberating." (I've experienced it.) There is cranial-sacral massage, which comes from osteopathic medicine and has been incorporated into some massage practices. And when it comes to osteopathic medicine, that actually involves much more than simply hands-on practices. It includes nutrition, medication when appropriate, etc etc etc. And I would also include acupuncture in this overall category, which can be pretty amazing. I've experienced profound anti-pain benefits with nothing else but acupuncture.

My one complaint when it comes to physical therapy is that there are too few who truly understand how to work with the body to resolve problems. Too focused on the symptom and not nearly enough on the fundamental cause. Good ones are incredible, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

That being said, your emphasis on the importance of these hands-on interventions is so well placed.

It's also so gratifying to see someone posting here! I had begun this board a good number of years ago, but an argumentative, insulting voice--from someone who rejects anything that is not conventional healthcare--had eventually appeared, who made it so unpleasant, regardless of the topics raised, that everyone was chased away.

Maybe we can breathe new life into it!

=sheila
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.