No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,
I've hit a real speed bump in my project and was wondering if anyone here is experienced in inserting photos into Excel.
I took photographs, saved them to my computer as jpg files, copied the files, and pasted them into Excel.

I thought I could store and manage these photos this way so I deleted the jpg photos from my computer, leaving just the copies in Excel. And I did the same thing with MS Access. So I have photos in both those programs.

But now how do I get the jpg's back so I can send files via email or paste them into a web site? I can copy them onto the "clipboard" but then what? I see no way to "save as" jpg.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
RB
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'll ask one question...

Why would you do that in the first place?!?!

If you're trying to catalog your photos, there are much better tools to do it with than Excel and Access.

xSSMBB
Open up "Paint", paste in there, and "Save as..." a JPG file.

-Agg97
"If you're trying to catalog your photos, there are much better tools to do it with than Excel and Access."

I'm cataloging my book collection with photos. Any suggestions? Combining a data base (flexibility, reports, queries, etc) with photos.
" Open up "Paint", paste in there, and "Save as..." a JPG file"

Thanks! That worked :)
I appreciate it.
RB
No. of Recommendations: 3
"I'm cataloging my book collection with photos. Any suggestions? Combining a data base (flexibility, reports, queries, etc) with photos."

There are already better collection (book, movie, music, whatever) collection programs for this - many make it as easy as shooting your barcode or typing titles and they'll go out and collect cover images for you and store it all locally as JPGs that the program keeps a pointer to for visual indexing. Do some google searching (always).
B
Thanks B, I'll see what I can find. But the barcode and image retrieval won't work I'm sure for my purposes. The books I'm dealing with are rare antiquarian.
But other aspects of a good book cataloging database might be interesting to see. Although I'd want to be able to change it for my purposes. With Access I can add fields, change them, create odd queries, etc. It's not the prettiest thing around (I'm not an Access expert) but it works.
"Thanks B, I'll see what I can find. But the barcode and image retrieval won't work I'm sure for my purposes. The books I'm dealing with are rare antiquarian."

In that case (and I have the same issue with rare music) you can simply shoot a picture of it or flatbed scan it or whatever you have. All such things are easy IMO when using such an app developed for just that purpose (cataloging collections).
B
Thanks B.
I'll do some Googling. The first one I found sounds good:
http://www.collectorz.com/book/

I imagine it would let me add my own photos but it doesn't say. I've sent them an email to ask.

Also, I could upload it to the web to share with others. Although I doubt that would be on a web site I can customize myself to have my own web site. I'll find that out also.

Thanks,
RB
Thanks B.
I'll do some Googling. The first one I found sounds good:
http://www.collectorz.com/book/

I imagine it would let me add my own photos but it doesn't say. I've sent them an email to ask.

Also, I could upload it to the web to share with others. Although I doubt that would be on a web site I can customize myself to have my own web site. I'll find that out also.

Thanks,
RB

I use 'All My Books' for my book collection. You can add your own pictures to it. It's not free but not very expensive either.

Eugene
"All My Books"

Does it allow uploading to a web site?
Is it user friendly?

Thanks,
RB
""All My Books"
Does it allow uploading to a web site?
Is it user friendly?"

Don't even wait for an answer.....IF you google "All My Books" you'll find the source and in this cas friendy videos explaining the whats & whys (google is your friend - we keep tryin' to learn ya but it won't take! ;).
B
"google is your friend - we keep tryin' to learn ya but it won't take! ;)."

I use Google but I prefer discussing first hand with people who have used the software. I know I've asked more questions than I needed to in the past, but you should see how often I DON'T these days due to getting used to Google! But in some cases I like first hand info from an actual user, not just an advertisement.

Thanks,
RB
I think my biggest resistance is relative to building a web site. Not just for this purpose,but for other purposes also.
For the book catalog purpose, I will want to upload it from whatever book cataloging software I end up with to a web site where people can find it via Google.

But I know NOTHING about web building. There are so many choices out there of software and services that it boggles my mind when I Google for this. I want something simple for a non-techie but also flexible in case I want to convert it some day to a commerce web site with a shopping cart (but that's just a some day maybe kind of thing; but I don't want to be stuck starting over if I choose the wrong kind of web site now that won't work for that later).

I also want a low monthly fee for hosting or whatever fees are involved. That's the other issue I have - I don't even know everything that's involved. Hosting. Website building. Search functions? Is it true that pre-Google one had to spend lots of money making sure your web site can be found, but with Google that is no longer necessary?

So do I use a service, such as GoDaddy? Or Homestead e-commerce, etc? Or do I buy software from Amazon such as one of these:
http://voices.yahoo.com/review-5-best-website-building-softw...

Any push in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks,
RB
Is this for a business? It sounds like a major effort where you'll need to pay for support.
B
No. Hobby. Could turn into a business some day but I'm not starting on that assumption.

So creating web sites is difficult for non-techies even these days with all the so-called easy set up templates, etc?
"So creating web sites is difficult for non-techies even these days with all the so-called easy set up templates, etc?"

Creating a web site can be easy or difficult - it depends on what the site does.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you don't just want a static web site but a storefront (the equivalent) presenting you book collection as it changes, no? If I'm even close you're in the realm of more complicated than not. You say "non techies" and "easy set up" I think if you have to ask you're already over your head and would need to pay for development and supporting it.
Or I could be wrong.
Good luck,
B
"Unless I'm misunderstanding you don't just want a static web site but a storefront (the equivalent) presenting you book collection as it changes, no?"

Correct. But how is that any different than the initial set up? If I can add 100 books initially, couldn't I just add more the next day, or edit, or delete?

I suppose I could just pick one and give it a try, especially if they have a trial period.

RB
"Correct. But how is that any different than the initial set up? If I can add 100 books initially, couldn't I just add more the next day, or edit, or delete?"

I don't know if you'd find that easy but it sounds labor intensive for what is a hobby. Are you good at such things? Yes, by all means try - it might turn out to be easy for you (HTML programming & page layout) or you might find it a total PITA...either initially or in maintaining it.
Good luck,
B
"Unless I'm misunderstanding you don't just want a static web site but a storefront (the equivalent) presenting you book collection as it changes, no?"

Correct. But how is that any different than the initial set up? If I can add 100 books initially, couldn't I just add more the next day, or edit, or delete?

An actual storefront where the customer can place orders - and pay - through the website is a bit more complex.

And where you have a limited inventory on each item, you don't want to come home from a few days off visiting relatives to find that seven people have each ordered - and paid for - a specific item that you only have one of.

For selling books, I'd recommend you go to Amazon.com then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Sell on Amazon" link. This is a smart company, they LIKE independent sellers of old books they don't carry (because it helps make them the go-to place to buy books online).

(Barnes & Noble apparently has a similar program but a very quick perusal did not turn up a link on how to become part of it.)
I sell through Amazon already.
But selling on my web site is completely ... well, not even secondary. Mainly I just want a pictorial bibliographic list with some essays, articles...