Pink elbow pads
Pink ribbons
Pink baseball caps
Pink gloves
Pink do-rags
Pink referee's whistles
Plus pink things I missed.

Multiply by the number of players and coaches on the roster times
the number of teams in the league, and add the number of referees.

That's a lot of money.

Rather than "raising cancer awareness", which is a meaningless
publicity stunt, wouldn't it have been wiser and more meaningful
to donate all that money directly to cancer research?

~aj
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm shocked that you are against boobies.

All that game used pink gear gets auctioned off to benefit cancer awareness and screening programs for breast cancer. I would guess a portion of the pink gear they sell on nfl.com goes to that as well.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Call me a skeptic but I see this as nothing more than a publicity stunt to get more women to be interested in football, buy some goodwill, and/or sell more merchandise.

What is the connection between football and boobies? Nearly every other major sport has a stronger connection (unless we count the lingerie league).

How about testy, colon, or prostate cancer? Don't ask me what color they should wear for that but they could build awareness and do something good for their primary audience.
No. of Recommendations: 6
"What is the connection between football and boobies?"

Football players, coaches, and referees all have mothers, wives, girlfirends, or sisters.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Football players, coaches, and referees all have mothers, wives, girlfirends, or sisters.

And all of them have fathers. All of them also have prostates, testies, and colons. So, what is your point?

I might also add that a small percentage of men get breast cancer as well.

Christina
No. of Recommendations: 0
"And all of them have fathers. All of them also have prostates, testies, and colons."

Yes they do. No one argued otherwise.

"So, what is your point?"

You asked what the connection was between football and breast cancer.
What is the connection between football and boobies?

Cheerleaders
I agree with Hawkwin. It's a publicity stunt. There are many bigger killers than breast cancer...

"The 10 leading causes of death by broad income group (2008)"
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index.htm...

High-income countries	Deaths in millions	% of deaths
1. Ischaemic heart disease 1.42 15.6%
2. Stroke and other cerebrovascular disease 0.79 8.7%
3. Trachea, bronchus, lung cancers 0.54 5.9%
4. Alzheimer and other dementias 0.37 4.1%
5. Lower respiratory infections 0.35 3.8%
6. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 0.32 3.5%
7. Colon and rectum cancers 0.30 3.3%
8. Diabetes mellitus 0.24 2.6%
9. Hypertensive heart disease 0.21 2.3%
10. Breast cancer 0.17 1.9%

For the record, I have nothing against boobies or raising money for healthy boobies. :-)

--Rod
No. of Recommendations: 1
I sometimes wonder if they'd be happier knowing that a woman died of colon cancer or some other form it, than breast cancer. Of course, breast cancer is bad, but it can kill her just as quickly as any other form of cancer.
"It's a publicity stunt."

Of course it is a publicity stunt. That is the whole purpose of it, to bring publicity to the effort to raise money for breast concer research. It is the perfect type of publicity stunt: it takes money from something that is economically useless and relatively meaningless (sports memorabilia collecting) and re-directs it to a more productive pursuit (cancer research).

"There are many bigger killers than breast cancer..."

Why does this matter? Money should be used to fund research on the biggest killers?
Why does this matter? Money should be used to fund research on the biggest killers?

Absolutely.

It is trendy and cool to support breast cancer research. It isn't trendy to support something like colon cancer research - yet more people die from it and it impacts both genders in relative equal percentages.

If you get breast cancer, you typically find it sooner and it is far more easily treatable - hence the lower mortality rate.

My MIL has had breast cancer twice. Both times it was treated. She wears her pink boa at all the walks. 1/6 of all people that get breast cancer die from it.

My Aunt died from colon cancer in her 50s. She had no idea anything was wrong until it was completely too late. 1/3 of all people that get colon cancer die from it - twice the number of breast cancer.

As wiki states:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_cancer
Overemphasis
Compared to other diseases or other cancers, breast cancer receives a disproportionate share of resources and attention. In 2001 MP Ian Gibson, chairman of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom all party group on cancer stated "The treatment has been skewed by the lobbying, there is no doubt about that. Breast cancer sufferers get better treatment in terms of bed spaces, facilities and doctors and nurses."[124] Breast cancer also receives significantly more media coverage than other, equally prevalent cancers, with a study by Prostate Coalition showing 2.6 breast cancer stories for each one covering cancer of the prostate.[125] Ultimately there is a concern that favouring sufferers of breast cancer with disproportionate funding and research on their behalf may well be costing lives elsewhere.[124] Partly because of its relatively high prevalence and long-term survival rates, research is biased towards breast cancer. Some subjects, such as cancer-related fatigue, have been studied in little except women with breast cancer.

One result of breast cancer's high visibility is that statistical results can sometimes be misinterpreted, such as the claim that one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer during their lives—a claim that depends on the unrealistic assumption that no woman will die of any other disease before the age of 95.[126] This obscures the reality, which is that about ten times as many women will die from heart disease or stroke than from breast cancer.[127]

---------
No. of Recommendations: 3
I have no data to support this, but I firmly believe that if this campaign would be for any of the other diseases (e.g. Colon Cancer Research), the funds collected would only be a fraction of what Breast Cancer Awareness gets.

Is it because of the pink color, the boobies (and mens' obsession with them), the Susan Komen foundation, I wouldn't know.

There is also the fact that Breast Cancer can be easily self-detected, so just increasing the AWARENESS has a huge impact on early detection and mortality rates. Just seeing all that pink during games will prompt a lot of women to do a quick check when they have the time.

And I would think that $100 spent on Breast Cancer Awareness have a greater impact than $100 spent on Colon Cancer Research.
I'm no doctor, so I could be and probably am way off base here, but wouldn't finding a cure for one type of cancer be great help in finding a cure for all types of cancer?
Partly because of its relatively high prevalence and long-term survival rates, research is biased towards breast cancer

Research is biased towards breast cancer because many scientists believe that they are relatively close to finding a cure for certain types of breast cancer which will undoubtedly help in finding a cure for other cancers.

Interestingly enough, they seem to gloss over the "relatively high prevalence" of breast cancer.

Christina
but wouldn't finding a cure for one type of cancer be great help in finding a cure for all types of cancer?

Bingo! See my previous post.

Christina
And I don't think other cancers are being ignored either. I was watching the USC-Washington game last night and FOX Sports ran a PSA about colon cancer.
"FOX Sports ran a PSA about colon cancer. "

I bet it didn't cost anywhere near as much as all those pink apparel items.

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 4
I guess you're right. It's obvious that the sports world doesn't care about men.
I guess you're right. It's obvious that the sports world doesn't care about men

Ray:

LOL.

BTW - I also find it rather amusing that the guy you're responding to is well known for posting links on HURL to pictures of, shall I say, "well-endowed scantily dressed women".

And yet he doesn't think that the NFL should be so involved in helping find a cure for breast cancer.

LMAO.

Christina
You thought that there a lot of pink. I saw a video clip of a reporter at Reliant Stadium in Houston many hours before the game. EVERY single one of the 70,000 seats is completely covered pink. I can't tell, but it appears that they covered every seat with a pink Komen t-shirt. Wow
"I also find it rather amusing that the guy you're responding to is well known for
posting links on HURL to pictures of, shall I say, "well-endowed scantily dressed women..."

Jealousy will get you nowhere.

"...And yet he doesn't think that the NFL should be so involved in helping find a cure for breast cancer."

Had you read my comments with an open mind, you would have noticed that my argument was not against
finding a cure for breast cancer. What I disagreed with was the blatant, in-your-face publicity stunt
by which the NFL is doing it, instead of making a meaningful donation to the appropriate research activity.
But a mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open.

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 12
Jealousy will get you nowhere.

Yeah, I've spent my entire life wanting to be on your website wearing as little clothes as possible!!!! LMAO.

What I disagreed with was the blatant, in-your-face publicity stunt by which the NFL is doing it, instead of making a meaningful donation to the appropriate research activity.

The auctioning of the various "pink" items provides a very meaningful donation to breast cancer research. And the "in-your-face publicity" makes many folks more aware of the research, etc. Awareness is just as important as are donations.

But don't let that stop you from objecting to the NFL's approach. After all, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Christina
No. of Recommendations: 23
"Jealousy will get you nowhere."

Mischaracterizing people's emotions in order to smear them will get you nowhere either. Nothing in her post indicated jealousy.

"What I disagreed with was the blatant, in-your-face publicity stunt
by which the NFL is doing it, instead of making a meaningful donation to the appropriate research activity."

Uh, isn't the point of publicity stunts to draw attention to a cause?

"But a mind is like a parachute: it only works when it's open."

That is also rather amusing considering that your second most famous characteristic is regularly posting links to right wing stories and emails that anyone with an open mind would know to be silly.

But at least you are single handedly keeping snopes in business.
I think that people on this board have different definitions of the word "stunt".

--Rod
The NFL is running with this pink thing as if they were trying to corner the feminine vote in an election.

Now I read that the refs will use pink penalty flags in Dolphins-Jets game.
What color will they use for raising awareness of testicular, prostate and colon cancer? How about lung cancer? How about leukemia?

Or do they think this will increase female viewership of the game?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/24/nfl-to-use-p...

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 10
The NFL is running with this pink thing as if they were trying to corner the feminine vote in an election.

The NFL isn't the only entity "running with this pink thing".

In case you haven't read or heard about it elsewhere (which I find hard to believe as it's all over the internet, TV and elsewhere), October is "Breast Cancer Awareness" month.

As far as "this pink thing", note the following (from Wikipedia):

"in 1993 Evelyn Lauder, Senior Corporate Vice President of the Estée Lauder Companies founded The Breast Cancer Research Foundation and established the pink ribbon as its symbol, though this was not the first time the ribbon was used to symbolize breast cancer. In the fall of 1991, the Susan G. Komen Foundation had handed out pink ribbons to participants in its New York City race for breast cancer survivors."

And, as I've posted before, men get breast cancer too. "The American Cancer Society estimates that about 2,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are diagnosed in men each year."

So, get over it already!

Christina
get over it already!

This.
get over it already!

This.

That.