No. of Recommendations: 0
PinzaTodd wrote:

"I want to be able to record a track, and then dub over it as many times as I want, and I want to do it transparently, without a steep learning curve. Basically, I want to be a band. Chuckle.

This is what Apple is about, after all: I don't want to need a degree to use the tool, I just want to use it. Because my goal in life is not mastery of the tool, it's the ability to use the tool to produce something of value."

Ok,

As a Mac user throughout childhood and college, Wintel user as a tech consultant and app developer, and audio nut on both Mac and Intel platforms, I hear statements like this and think "This is why everyone thinks Mac users are insane". The view that Apple should or even could provide tools as powerful as Digidesign's Pro Tools without any complexity of use whatsoever strikes me as irrational, illogical and frankly somewhat childish.

Not to slam PinzaTodd but the statement "This is what Apple is about" scares me. Apple makes great machines. Apple provides a lot of sleek usable software for casual users. Apple is not in the pro audio business and really can't and shouldn't compete in niche markets like Audio and Video with heavyweights like Avid and Digidesign.

When you say that Pro Tools free is "virtually unsuable... a crippled version of a Pro tool" then go on to say you're recording audio tracks using your built in iMac mike betrays a lack of any real knowledge about what you are doing (standard soundcards record absolutely crappy audio; built in mics are exponentially worse). What is it that you're trying to do that this "crippled" version of Pro Tools won't let you?

While tech itself doesn't have to be hard, there's a reason that professionals make professional quality music; they know about what they're doing. Sure a great software tool can make your voice sound like Tom Waits or clean up your guitar so your solos rip like Jeff Beck's. But if you don't know some basics about what you're doing, all the effects in the world won't clean up your peaked out built-in mic recorded crap.

just a thought/rant

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh. I just got off the phone with Apple and their Customer service is pissing me off (mac 5300 to G3 Pismo upgrade offer).

Rob

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.