No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, Pixy, from a "smoky" old friend at a former employer! Yup, I've taken a walk from our former haunt and now am in desperate need of advice and opinions from you and your faithful board denizens.

I need advice on choosing where to put my money - all opinions gratefully accepted, as I'm into my research phase.

Here's the basics:

I've recently left my employer voluntarily. Recent, as in, less than a week ago. I'm taking a breather of about 2 weeks and then will begin drumming up some consulting business, and taking a look around the job market for a new employer.

I have over a year's worth of gross income saved, so cash is not a problem during a period of no cash flow.

I'm 38 years old, no dependents, a fiancee. We'll be married this July.

Approximately 75% of my payout from my former employer comes from a defined benefit plan operated by that employer. The other 25% is from a 401k sponsored by that employer.

I want to put that money to work as my retirement nest egg. I don't want to withraw it for about 20-25 years. I want some financial security for the money. Most of all, I want the investments to grow! (Doh)

What are my options for tax-deferred places to put both pots of money? Pros and cons of any options opined upon please!

As you can tell, I don't have a great deal of experience managing this kind of transaction, so your advice is deeply appreciated.

Yes, I'm reading everything I can on the Fool about retirement planning, 401k's, etc., but I'm very interested in your opinions.


foolishjk (hoping someday to sign my name with a capital F!)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.