No. of Recommendations: 0

Isn't is also important to keep records of "after-tax" money for when withdrawals are taken later ? The only record I have is from my 401(k) plan where they show the exact amount of after tax money being rolled over to an IRA. The IRA told me they won't distinguish after-tax money on the 5498 form. It will all be tallied as a rollover.

Since this is a new ruling in 2002 I wondered why this "after-tax" money couldn't be rolled into a Roth since taxes were already payed. The only answer I've been able to get is that you can't go directly to a Roth, you have to go to an IRA. OK, so if the "after tax" money is in an IRA can I easily roll it into my Roth ?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.