Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Pixy says:

It is the logic of the life insurance salesman who wants to sell you a policy which has your wife as the beneficiary. In essence, it says spend up to the difference of a full pension versus what you would receive if you took a joint pension. (i.e., the one that would pay your wife a benefit when you die). Then, if you die, your spouse could use the life insurance to generate at least enough income to pay her what she would have received had you taken the joint pension, and hopefully more.

In my former life, I tried to sell a few of these deals, and found it was a difficult thing to do...Age, company underwriting, cost, etc. The biggest problem, its a gamble that the pensioner is going to outlive the spouse, as that is the only good reason to seriously consider it if you are going to spend the same amount for insurance as the reduction in pension would be. Unless the spouse is in very bad health, not a smart gamble.

Also, it is my understanding that a spouse has to sign off on all these elections, so it is his or her final decision.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.