Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Herb Greenberg implies Whirlpool results are somehow contrived and manipulated in some unsavory manner.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/wrinkle-whirlpool-growth-story/story.aspx?guid=%7B8CCB8343%2D82B9%2D4A80%2D8E8C%2D4B548A7EF2D4%7D

I commented on this: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26372452

But I am getting ahead of myself. First lets look back a year ago. 4Q06 and year end 2006 http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25142410

And yes, it has been a long year but the falling US dollar and exposure in more positive economies I feel has come 'round to help Whirlpool.

As said in previous posts, Whirlpool 4Q07 net income rose 72% on momentum in its international business as well as cost savings in North America tied to its acquisition of Maytag.

... earnings rose to $187 million, or $2.38 a share, from $109 million, or $1.37 a share, a year ago. Breaking out a loss from discontinued operations in the year-ago period, earnings from continuing operations rose to $2.38 from $1.67 a share.

Sales climbed 7% to $5.33 billion, from $4.95 billion. Wise Analysts had been expecting earnings of $2.15 a share on revenue of $5.27 billion, according to data compiled by Thomson Financial.

Whirlpool has had a presence, partner, joint venture (JV) or company in Europe, Asia, Brazil, India, China, Canada and Mexico for decades. Is it so hard to fathom that Brazilian tax credits were not a planned reality in Benton Harbor offices? That the dollar falling favors exports may be a relatively new development. There have been plants in Brazil, India, and Mexico building washing machines for use their since the early 1990s.

Brands such as Whirlpool, Kenmore, Kitchen Aid, Maytag, Roper, and Bauknecht are world known as leaders in their markets. Whirlpool has successfully moved away from huge dependence upon troubled Sears for its white goods retailing with relationships such as Lowes. Plus white goods are on a planned & understood obsolescence like clock work. Life cycle production planning should be so easy for other industry giants.

A challenging economy here in the US?

Housing new starts are tanking, foreclosures are rising. Sure is tough. I suggest you look at what portion new housing, and their requisite cheap of the line builder models, plays in Whirlpool sales figures. And realize that when your washer or fridge cuts out at home and you have a choice between trading in that 2003 Toyota on a new model, upgrading to the latest digital flat screen wall of a TV or buying a new replacement appliance - what do you think you are going to do in 2008?

Where as white goods companies, the world's largest being Whirlpool, and multi-national, multi-industry giants like GE, may be slow to grow, Mr Market occasionally presents us with bargain buys from over reaction and misunderstanding by the lemmings who follow wise analysts exclusively.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.