Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Would you want this in your backyard?

dear god man, I only have a third of an acre - it could not possibly fit.

peace & backyards
t
Man, everybody's a comedian.

Help a buddy out. I have to vote on this.

Seriously.
No. of Recommendations: 3
A quick google search doesn't find too many complaints about this technology. Which means it is new and there aren't too many of them or there are not complaints (unlikely). Some sites just call it an incinerator which i don't think is accurate.

My main question would be are they using it for general waste that would otherwise be landfilled or is it going to be used for hazardous waste. If it is haz waste then the major issue with that is usually transporation on the way there (that is going to be traveling across your highways and local rail system). Potential accidents on highways or derailments would be a concern, potentially causing a release. And then there are security issues with some Haz wastes at the site. ( Or atleast this is a concern with nuclear waste disposal, some haz waste could be a concern if flammable or explosive).

Are there emission concerns, they say no. Coal gasification has been fairly well vetted by the scientific community but it is not cost effective to build new plants so it isn't widely used. That doesn't have any emissions at all if done correctly.

Good luck with your decision...
Mostly the waste to be processed is byproducts of pharmaceutical research. At least, that's the plan at first.

Big pharma plants in Indianapolis. Lots of medical research in Chicago too.

The plan is ten to twenty truckloads of waste per day. No biohazards, no medical waste like blood, no nuclear or radioactive material.
No. of Recommendations: 5
At least, that's the plan at first.

Would you get to vote again on a proposed material change?

So you vote NOW for it to be built, and to allow for pharma waste. Would you be able to vote AGAIN before it went to something more ominous, or are you giving blanket approval with this vote?

impolite
Well, that's a good question that had not occurred to me.

Thanks. I'll add it to the list of questions.
No. of Recommendations: 2
My other thoughts (now that I have slept on it):

1) Who will be hired on (local or people brought in)?

2) Will you get reimbursed for any road improvements that need to be made in and out of the area for the big trucks? Thicker concrete, wider lanes, adding a stoplight, etc.

3) How much of a disturbance will the trucks make? Will they be coming right through resedential areas at night?

4) How much will this tax the local emergency services, and will the plant pay for any additional manpower or training needs for the local forces? I'm thinking a plant of this size and industry has special firefighting, hospital and EMT needs, as well as the local police force needing to know how to respond to certain alarms there and if a truck were to wreck - each would need to work with plant management to develop a response plan.

I will post if I think of more.

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 3
5) Will local people be used to construct it? That's quite a lot of money invested into your community.

6) Are you all giving up taxes to entice them to build there? Our (previous) town did that with my (previous) employer; when the tax abatement ended, they moved to Mexico. It wasn't THE deciding factor but it was a consideration.

Minxie
All good questions. The city has identified and will probably hire a professional engineer with substantial experience in the area to advise us in this process. The company is assembling a proposal which I will have to evaluate and vote on.

As I get more information I will get back with you all.

thanks
I don't know. Great question.

Thanks