Dallas over Carolina

Philly over Dallas
St. Louis over Green Bay

Philly over St. Louis

Super Bowl:

Philly over New England
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Wow, RAMSfanray goes with the Rams.... there's a surprise. ;)

I agree with you on the STL @ PHI NFC championship game, but not the outcome. I don't see the Greatest Show on Turf going into Phila and running amok over the Eagles at Veterans, uh, I mean Lincoln Financial Field. Of course after losing to Detroit, it's hard to see them running amok over anybody. And it's not like they weren't playing for anything... a win would've got them home field... where they're perfect in '03! I mean, c'mon, my Chargers beat the Lions this year, and we only beat 3 other teams all year.

If St Louis makes it to Philly, I don't see them making it out. Brian Westbrooks injury is the only major concern that comes to mind. But the Rams are an exciting team to watch, so you never know.

Pats to win it all this year? Anyone? Anyone?

BZ1
No. of Recommendations: 0
it's hard to see them running amok over anybody.

Wins are not determined by how much mok running you do. A final FG from Wilkins will win that game for the Rams.
No. of Recommendations: 3
A final FG from Wilkins will win that game for the Rams.

Kind of like the last final FG the RAMS saw in a SB. {;^D

Jeff
Life is all about learning, Jeff.

But, have they learned?
I believe they have. Time will tell.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Tenn
Den

Car
Seattle

Pats
KC

Phil
Rams

Pats over KC 24-17
Phil over Rams 28-17

Philly over Patsies 31-21.

Naj
AFC:

Round 1:
Tenn at Balt - Balt
DEN at IND - Den

Round 2:
Den at NE – NE
Balt at KC – Balt

Conference Championship
Balt at NE – NE

NFC:

Round 1:
Dallas at Car – Car
SEA at GB – GB

Round 2:

GB at PHL – GB
CAR at STL – STL

Conference Championship

GB at STL – STL

Superbowl:
STL vs. NE - NE

More predictions, in case my picks are wrong...

KC will lose to whoever they end up playing. Their D is just that bad.

NE will beat whoever they end up playing. Their D is just that good.

GB will beat Sea.

If Dal beats Car, GB will lose to StL and Phi will beat Dal.

Then Phi will beat StL, and NE will beat Phi

No. of Recommendations: 12

Which is exactly why I don't trust the Rams, and specifically, Mike Martz.

I've covered in the past what the data show regarding the Rams offense: When they run, they do well. When they don't, they don't. The Lions game is a perfect example of how I feel Martz hasn't learned much:

The Rams have a 20-10 lead to start the second half. So what to the Rams do on their second half posessions to protect that lead and lock up home field advantage?

Posession 1 (Rams 20 Lions 10):
Run - Pass - Pass (sack and fumble)

Posession 2 (Rams 20 Lions 17):
Run - Pass - Pass - Punt

Posession 3 (Rams 20 Lions 24):
Pass - Run - Pass (interception)

Posession 4 (Rams 20 Lions 27):
Pass (sack) - Pass - Pass - Punt

4th quarter begins

Posession 5 (Rams 20 Lions 30):
Pass (called back on penalty) - Run - Pass (sack and fumble, Bulger knocked out of game)

Posession 6 (Rams 20 Lions 30):
Pass - Run - Run - Pass (called back on penalty) - Pass - Pass - Punt

Posession 7 (Rams 20 Lions 30):
Pass - Pass - Pass - Run (fake punt) - Pass - Pass - Pass - Pass

22 passes and 7 rushes, including the run on the punt. That's not the way to protect a 10 point lead. It might be different if the Rams didn't have runners you could trust, but they've got Marshall Faulk for goodness sake. Use him.

Why is this important? Let's say we get a rematch of the Rams and Patriots in the Super Bowl. You don't run on the Patriots, right? After all, they're 4th in the league in total rushing a game, holding the opponent to under 90 yards a game. Meanwhile their passing D is a meagre 15th, so surely the potent Rams passing attack should take advantage there, right?

Not so fast. Here's another way to look at it:

In 13 out of 16 games, the Patriots' opponents have called more passing plays than running plays. The Patriots are 13-0 in those games.

In 3 of the 16 games, the Patriots' opponents have called more running plays than passing plays. The Patriots are 1-2 in those games, and needed a last minute TD to force OT against Houston before winning the one game they did in this situation.

So, mixing in the fact that the Rams play better when they run more and that the Patiots running D might actually be a hidden vulnerability, the question stands: Has Martz learned anything?

I doubt it.

--WP

Has Martz learned anything?

I doubt it.

A 12-4 record with a coach that knows nothing. This team is better than I thought.
A 12-4 record with a coach that knows nothing. This team is better than I thought.

Ray, I never said he knows nothing. I'm saying that I don't think he's learned from his past failures. He clearly knows a lot about the game, but the question is whether his ego gets in the way of becoming a better coach than he already is. So far, I think the evidence is that he's a good coach, but that he isn't any better of a coach than he was when he took over the team.

--WP
Philly over Patsies 31-21

I can see someone predicting a Patriots Superbowl loss but I think predicting their defense gives up 31 is just wrong. They gave up about 15 pts. a game this year.
So far, I think the evidence is that he's a good coach, but that he isn't any better of a coach than he was when he took over the team.

I would definatly disagree with that. The Detroit game was very frustrating because he did indeed get away from the run, but all season he has been using a balanced attack quite well. He is a much better coach now than he was when he took over. And not just in terms of his play-calling. He has a better feel for when to protect his players from the media and when to publicly challenge one. He seems less inclined to take things too personally. He's more willing to let players learn from their mistakes (I always felt Martz treated Trung Candidate a little unfairly, not too unfairly-after all, Trung did fumble a lot, but a fumble should get you bench for a series or two not a couple of games). Anyway, Martz has learned and grown into his job. He will be a head coach in this league for many years to come and will amass quite a number of wins and a Superbowl championship or two as well.
No. of Recommendations: 2
The Detroit game was very frustrating because he did indeed get away from the run, but all season he has been using a balanced attack quite well.

I think he just hates Kurt Warner. Why else would he employ a balanced attack with Bulger in there, but throw out half the playbook with Brenda's husband under center? It's a recipe for disaster, and I just have a hard time believing that Martz is so impressed with Wanrer's QB skills that he would think that a running attack is only necessary with Bulger in the game.
Why else would he employ a balanced attack with Bulger in there, but throw out half the playbook with Brenda's husband under center?

Nice try but, sorry. The run was abandoned long before Warner got in the game.
Nice try but, sorry. The run was abandoned long before Warner got in the game.

Actually, I was referring to Week 1, plus the weeks that Warner played last year as well.
Actually, I was referring to Week 1, plus the weeks that Warner played last year as well.

Week 1 was such a disaster that I think the team itself was abandoned and they were playing with Giants fans in Rams uniforms who had "given their word" to try and win.

As for last year, that was when he made the mistakes that helped him learn to do things better this year.
As for last year, that was when he made the mistakes that helped him learn to do things better this year.

Riiigghhhtttt....
So what are you saying, that 12-4 isn't better than 7-9?
So what are you saying, that 12-4 isn't better than 7-9?

Not at all. I would much rather be looking forward to the off week as a prelude to a home game rather than a prelude to watching other teams play.

7-9 sucks, and my team has a helluva lot of work to do. Of course, our offensive genius with a huge ego has a ring. I'm not so sure you'll be able to say the same thing on 2/1/04.

You wanna trade for possession receiver with an ego bigger than your coach's? :-)
You wanna trade for possession receiver with an ego bigger than your coach's? :-)

Nope, having a coach with a big ego keeps our receivers from getting one, hence they become arguably the best receiving duo in the league.

You can keep Keyshawn.

How about Corey Dillon for Warren Sapp and a 4th round pick?

-Mike
How about Corey Dillon for Warren Sapp and a 4th round pick?

If they make me the GM, I'd do that deal. Sapp's a UFA after the Super Bowl.

If they make me the GM, I'd do that deal. Sapp's a UFA after the Super Bowl.

In that case I'd insist on an empty Gatorade cooler, two Bucs cheerleaders, and a fourth and a sixth round pick.

Still interested?

-Mike (not exactly a Dillon fan)
a Sixth Sense

Broncos lost to top-seeded New England 30-26, with the Broncos thrid string quarterback having to play the game.

Denver trounced second-seeded Kansas City, 45-27 three weeks ago.

Nine days ago they pummeled the Colts at the RCA Dome, 31-17.

There are no dynasties left.
Detroit beating the Packers & the Rams, and the Raiders & Tampa Bay seasons supoprt this.

Denver is the only team having to finish its lasty two games on the road. Once the sixth spot was secure, so what if Shanahan pissed of the odds makers and sat 7 starters out for the Green Bay game.

The Colts & Chiefs are nose diving as did the Vikings late in the season.

I see Denver having to beat New England to get to the Super Bowl - so be it.

I could be wrong,
but I won't like it.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Broncos lost to top-seeded New England 30-26, with the Broncos thrid string quarterback having to play the game.

The Patriots played that game without Richard Seymour and Ted Washington (among others), that was the night that Portis had the only 100-yard rushing game against the Pats all year. That was almost two months ago and the team that is playing right now is much better than the one that beat Denver in Denver that night.

Remember that, if Denver advances, they will be playing in Foxboro.

- In it's last four home games, they've allowed a total of 13 points.

- The Patriots outscored opponents 108-22 in their last six home games.

- Three of the last four home games have been shutouts.

- The Patriots haven't lost at home this year.

- They haven't lost to a team with a winning record.

Don't be so quick to hand Denver a game that they may never get to. And it would be very tough to get to the Superbowl. They were a 10-6 team that has to win three games on the road just to get to there.
You know I'm gonna pick it, right? Too bad, I'm doing it anyway...I'll look like a homer, cause I think it's very possible (if not likely) and cause I'm not the first homer to post to (or start <wink wink> ) this thread. ;-)

Round 1:
Tenn at Balt - Baltimore
We own Tennessee and we play VERY tough at home.
DEN at IND - Denver
They spanked them once in Indi. The Colts are limping into the playoffs, their D doesn't look good, Manning and Dungy have never been playoff hounds, and Portis is back.

Round 2:
DEN at NE – Denver
They're the team with the best shot at pulling off this upset, I think they'll do it.
BAL at KC – Baltimore
KC is limping big time. After starting 9-0 they went 4-3 in their last games, and their run D is terrible going up against the #2 all time rusher.

Conference Championship
DEN at BAL - Baltimore
We own Denver too (four wins in the last four years, including a playoff win)...we don't just own them, we make them look silly. The combined score of those four games is 101-45.

NFC:

Round 1:
Dallas at Car – Carolina
Great recovery by Dallas, but it ends here.
SEA at GB – Green Bay
Seattle won its first road game when it counted most, but GB is a team of destiny right now, which scares me. The score of this game might be 49-45.

Round 2:

GB at PHL – Philly
They can't stop Ahman, but I do think they'll pull this one out.
CAR at STL – St Louis
Carolina's had a great year, but StL is still too tough at home.

Conference Championship

STL at PHL – Philly
Doesn't matter who it will be at QB, the Eagles will blitz the hell out of him and the Rams can't handle the blitz. It's on the road, and Philly will be too much for them to handle.

Superbowl:
Baltimore vs. Philly
Baltimore will roll in this one, same as they did against the Giants. Ray will have them up big time, and that defense will be hungry for the shut-out they thought they should have had against the Giants. And Jamal will run all over the Philly defense which can't stop the run.

- C -
No. of Recommendations: 6
Round 2:
DEN at NE – Denver
They're the team with the best shot at pulling off this upset, I think they'll do it.
BAL at KC – Baltimore
KC is limping big time. After starting 9-0 they went 4-3 in their last games, and their run D is terrible going up against the #2 all time rusher.

I realize that you want your team to win (who doesn't?) but let's be realistic. The Patriots are unbeaten at home and have shutouts there in 3 of their last 4 games, as has been stated. They're only getting better. What makes you think Denver can beat them? Because Portis ran for 100 against them when Seymour and Washington weren't playing? Because they have future Hall of Famer Jake Plummer running the team? Because Mike "I've won nothing without Elway and Terrell Davis" Shanahan is in charge? Belichick has two weeks to prepare for this game. It's almost embarrassing what an advantage that is.

KC must be the most disrespected 13-3 team of all time. Every scenario I've seen has them losing in the first round. I wouldn't be so quick to count them out. They have a pretty good running back there also.
What makes you think Denver can beat them? Because Portis ran for 100 against them when Seymour and Washington weren't playing? Because they have future Hall of Famer Jake Plummer running the team? Because Mike "I've won nothing without Elway and Terrell Davis" Shanahan is in charge?

Go ahead and take that attitude if you want, but you'd better hope (I'm assuming you're a Pats fan) that the Pats don't take it. I could list for you every reason on the planet the Ravens should have beaten the Raiders, but that doesn't mean they did. This is the NFL...anyone can beat anyone in this league at any time. I picked it cause I think it CAN happen, and I wanna be the guy that called it first if it does. I think the Pats are the odds on favorite to win the Superbowl. But that doesn't mean I think they can't lose.

Belichick has two weeks to prepare for this game. It's almost embarrassing what an advantage that is.

I'll grant you he's one of the best game planners in the NFL if not THE best. But it's worth noting that the biggest advantage of a post-season bye shows in the first half of the first quarter. Phil Simms (who knows a thing or two about it) wrote a great article about this in the 2000 post-season. The rest gives them the first half of the first quarter. After that, it's evened out.

BTW, I won't mention how many times the top seed from the AFC has made it to the Superbowl in the last few years...

KC must be the most disrespected 13-3 team of all time. Every scenario I've seen has them losing in the first round. I wouldn't be so quick to count them out. They have a pretty good running back there also.

They have no defense. Not just like they don't have much of one, they can't stop anyone right now. If there is anything the playoffs have proven, it is that you CANNOT go anywhere without a defense.

- C -
Go ahead and take that attitude if you want, but you'd better hope (I'm assuming you're a Pats fan) that the Pats don't take it. I could list for you every reason on the planet the Ravens should have beaten the Raiders, but that doesn't mean they did. This is the NFL...anyone can beat anyone in this league at any time. I picked it cause I think it CAN happen, and I wanna be the guy that called it first if it does. I think the Pats are the odds on favorite to win the Superbowl. But that doesn't mean I think they can't lose.

Yes, I'm a Patriots fan. And yes, I know they can lose. This is all in good fun, right?

I'm not worried about the Patriots players having a cocky attitude. They have been saying the right things all season and they seem to have the proper mentality, that they're a good team but it's meaningless without a championship. They didn't douse Belicheck with Gatorade, which I was very happy about. I think that's been done to death.

I'm also a lifetime Red Sox fan so you'll have to forgive me if I finally have a team that I can feel confident about succeeding in the post season. It's not something we're used to here in New England.

Baltimore vs. Philly
Baltimore will roll in this one, same as they did against the Giants. Ray will have them up big time, and that defense will be hungry for the shut-out they thought they should have had against the Giants. And Jamal will run all over the Philly defense which can't stop the run.

Wow! that'd be way-cool, an I-95 rivalry between the Ravens(scavenger bird) and the Eagles(mighty predator). Ray Lewis vs Donavon ~ Sunshine and Superman!

Westbrook returns to juke Ray out of his undies, Ray get's frustrated with the offense's lack of production and eats the starting QB. Eagles soar to a hard-fought 17-12 victory; The Mummers return for another parade; Rizzo rises from the dead!
No. of Recommendations: 4
Wild Card Week...
Colts by 6 over the Broncos.
Titans by 20+ points over the Ravens. Could be even worse.
Greenbay by 20+ points over the Seahawks.
Carolina by 3 over the Cowboys.

Divisional Week...
Chiefs by 14 over the Colts. Colts still hung over from last week.
Patriots by 1 over the Titans. Should be the best playoff game of all.
Rams by 20+ over Carolina. Ugly matchup for the Panthers.
Greenbay by 10 over the Eagles. Eagles run D can't stop Ahman Green.

Championship Week...
Chiefs by 14 over the Patriots. Belichick can't scheme to stop Priest.
Rams by 14 over Greenbay. Favre in a dome? Ugh, could be even worse than 14.

Superbowl.. Vermeil and the Chiefs against Martz and the Rams.
Chiefs by 7, Vermeil retires.

Seahawks are by far the weakest NFC team with the least chance to advance deeply with their horrid road play. The Ravens are clearly the worst AFC playoff team... good thing division champs automatically get in because otherwise they wouldn't be one of the six AFC playoff teams.
Superbowl.. Vermeil and the Chiefs against Martz and the Rams.
Chiefs by 7, Vermeil retires.

And a month later is named the new Coach in Arizona.
Wildcard
Tennessee vs. Baltimore Tennessee
Denver vs. Indianapolis Indianapolis
Dallas vs. Carolina Carolina
Seattle vs. Green Bay Green Bay

Divisional
Denver vs. New England New England
Tennessee vs. Kansas City Tennessee
Carolina vs. St Louis St Louis
Green Bay vs. Philadelphia Philadelphia

Conference Championship
Tennessee vs. New England New England
St Louis vs. Philadelphia St Louis

Super Bowl
St Louis vs. New England New England
I really need to proof what I write before I post.

Try this instead:

Denver at Indianapolis Denver

It would be damned hard for the Broncos to lose in the first round and then play in the second.
Belichick can't scheme to stop Priest.

Interesting statement. It's not like he didn't scheme for and stop Ricky Williams twice, Fred Taylor, Edgerrin James, Travis Henry twice (I know he scored two TD's in the first game, but didn't rush for squat), Curtis Martin twice, and Eddie George, to name a few. Portis was the only RB to run for more than 100 against the Pats, and it's not like he tore them up at 4.3 YPC.

Shanahan and Lewis seemed to do a good job of scheming for and stopping Holmes.

Jeff

I think that they deserve more respect than the 13-3 Bears of a couple of years ago, but I think that they have been exposed a bit over the second half of the season.
Titans by 20+ points over the Ravens. Could be even worse.

Whatever you think of the Ravens, I promise you this...

The Titans aren't going to score 20, much less win by it. If the Titans win this game, it'll be something like 10-6. I honestly think they may have trouble putting up double digits. That defense will come to play on prime time in the playoffs. And McNair and George have been notorious for being incapable of putting together a solid offensive effort against the Ravens. They haven't scored more than 12 points against the Ravens since the regular season in 2000.

BTW, there's something I forgot to mention about - mbarr - your note on Belichick having two weeks to prepare. That's not exactly true...he doesn't know who his opponent is going to be yet.

This is all in good fun, right?

Always!

- C -
If I am in the playoffs, these are the teams I DON'T want to see:

NFC:
1. Green Bay. It looks like this team is hit a groove. Forget Favre for a sec, even though he's played decent. They're running the ball well of recent & no fumblee anymore. D is playing decent. Plus enough of them can remember the last 2 visits (1-1) to the Big Dance.

2. Philly. Started VERY ugly, but seem to turn the corner. McNabb seems more relaxed........confident.

AFC:
1. Baltimore. Like Green Bay, they're been the Champs. The D is good enough to keep an O at bay. Ray Lewis is better than ever. The 3-4 scheme seems to work well with this group. The running game (e.g., Jamal Lewis) will need to keep the incredible performance up. Who ever the QB is, they can't afford to get cute.

2. Tennessee. The memory of the most famous "1 yard short" still come up from time to time. I bet McNair & the other who played against the Rams have that in the back of his mind. You have a good D, you have a decet O......decent TE, good at RB (when healthy) and actve WRs. Its all on McNair to keep it in place & make it all run. McNair seems to get the other to step up a little more that what they feel they can do.

Unless Manning can show me something, INDY doesn't scare me one bit. The D, I think, can hold denver in check (especially if Portis is not 100%).

As a contrarian move I decided to see what the payoff would be if I bet on all of the underdogs this weekend. Here are the current money lines:

DEN (+135) / IND (-155)
TEN / BAL (even)
SEA (+230) / GB (-300)
DAL (+130) / CAR (-150)

I decided to bet $20 on a 4-team parlay choosing the 3 underdogs above (DEN/SEA/DAL) along with TEN (the odds are the same whether you pick TEN or BAL). That $20 bet will pay $661.03 if it pays off. Considering how close to each other all playoff teams really are, that seems like pretty good odds to me, even though I don't think that will be the actual outcome of all the games. In reality I think GB will beat SEA and CAR will beat DAL. The AFC games are pretty close. I'm guessing DEN beats IND and TEN beats BAL.

For comparisons sake, if you instead bet $20 on the 3 favorites above and TEN instead of the 3 underdogs, the payoff would be $119.59. I'll take a 33-1 payoff betting on slightly inferior teams over a 6-1 payoff betting on slightly superior teams any day given how close they really are to each other.

Wot
No. of Recommendations: 4
AFC:
1. Baltimore. Like Green Bay, they're been the Champs. The D is good enough to keep an O at bay. Ray Lewis is better than ever. The 3-4 scheme seems to work well with this group. The running game (e.g., Jamal Lewis) will need to keep the incredible performance up. Who ever the QB is, they can't afford to get cute.

This thinking is one of the reasons the Patriots are going to the Superbowl. True, Baltimore has been the Champs, but so has NE, and more recently. The D is good enough to keep an O at bay. Baltimore gave up 17.6 points/game. NE gave up 14.9, MUCH less at home. Let's face it. New England's defense is BETTER than Baltimore. There, I said it. Ray Lewis is the best defensive player but the Patriots are the best defensive TEAM. They have had no problem stopping the best running backs, and Jamal Lewis is no exception.

And sure, Brady's tuck was a fumble. But Woodson hit him right in the head and it should have been a 15 yard penalty on Oakland. So the Patriots were the ones who got screwed on the play, not the Raiders.
Baltimore gave up 17.6 points/game. NE gave up 14.9, MUCH less at home. Let's face it. New England's defense is BETTER than Baltimore. There, I said it.

There's no question that everything the Pats have done this year vs. everything the Ravens have done this year supports this. That said, I'd still rather have the Ravens defense heading into the playoffs than the Pats defense. I don't know enough about the Pats to be able to see whether they can take their game to another level in the big games. But I do know the Ravens can.

People are gonna laugh at this, and I'm gonna catch flack for it, I know. But there are two teams in the post season that can beat the Ravens.
1) The Pats
2) The Ravens

Pats/Ravens will be a helluva game that as much as I'd love to see it as a football fan, scares the hell out of me as a Ravens fan. Anyone else, the ONLY way the Ravens will lose in the post-season is if they turn the ball over deep.

The 2000 Ravens allowed an average of just over 10 PPG in the regular season, and less than 6 per game in the post season. They can lift their performance again, and they will play shut down defense. My only two worries are that the offense gives the game away, or that the Pats can play better defense.

If the offense doesn't give the games away, and if the Pats don't play better defense, this team will win the Superbowl. Of that, I'm 100% certain.

- C -
If the offense doesn't give the games away, and if the Pats don't play better defense, this team will win the Superbowl. Of that, I'm 100% certain.

Well, I have to give you credit for being a loyal believer in your team. I happen to think that there are several teams that can beat the Ravens, but that's just my opinion.
My only two worries are that the offense gives the game away, or that the Pats can play better defense.

I believe the Pats had the highest-scoring defense in the league...
"This thinking is one of the reasons the Patriots are going to the Superbowl. True, Baltimore has been the Champs, but so has NE, and more recently. The D is good enough to keep an O at bay. Baltimore gave up 17.6 points/game. NE gave up 14.9, MUCH less at home."

I almost put the Pats on the top of the list, but I decide to go w/ the Wild card players. Both QBs can't get cute. Both D's are capable of putting the other in its place. The Pats are playing w/ pure confidence as they should. They're playing as good as anyone. My point is that these teams (moreso Baltimore & Green Bay) are backed-up to the wall. Players like Favre & Lewis are 2 guys I wouldn't want to put against the wall because you may not keep them there for long. If Favre plays on the money like he did against Oakland (as bad as Oakland was), forget it.

"And sure, Brady's tuck was a fumble. But Woodson hit him right in the head and it should have been a 15 yard penalty on Oakland. So the Patriots were the ones who got screwed on the play, not the Raiders."

They won't call that hit a penalty.....never.
They won't call that hit a penalty.....never.

They did back in 76. Ben Dreith ring a bell to a Raider's fan?
"They did back in 76. Ben Dreith ring a bell to a Raider's fan?"

http://www.espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020118.html

I loved the end of that article, it was written pretty much two years ago right now. The Pats were on a nice run, they had a bye-week, but still not really respected. They were a frachise that had a colorful past, and I mean that in the worse possible way. The article summarize a lot of that. Now the Patriots are one of the most successful, best run teams in football. Other teams want to emulate their success. How quickly things change.

Anyway, I did love the last few lines, who would have known how far they would have come since that day? :

But the fact remains, my black-sheep football team is three wins away from winning the Super Bowl. And if you don't mind, I thought I would savor the moment.

Who knows? I might not be here again for awhile.

p.s. The sidebar in the article has "Sportsguy's" picks for the four games that weekend. He got them all right. The next week he got both championship games right, with this prescient line about the Pats/Steelers:

Football is a strange game; the weakest link on a particular team usually rears its ugly head when it matters most. For the Steelers, it's their kicker. And they know it.
If Favre plays on the money like he did against Oakland (as bad as Oakland was), forget it.

No offense to Favre or his late father, but while his performance against Oakland was inspirational, it was far from "on the money". Did you see some of the passes he threw in that game? A lot of them were jump balls and his receivers went up and got them. It was almost like they elevated their game to the next level, not him.

If you want to say that Green Bay is scary because of Ahman Green I might buy it but I think the Favre mystique is hyped a bit too much. He is (was?) a great QB but not the god that some in the media make him out to be.
"No offense to Favre or his late father, but while his performance against Oakland was inspirational, it was far from "on the money". Did you see some of the passes he threw in that game? A lot of them were jump balls and his receivers went up and got them. It was almost like they elevated their game to the next level, not him."

To a point, I see the hype you mentioned. Favre may not be the Favre of years past, but he is still Favre. A few of those jump balls were by design. Some of those passes were right where they needed to be. Raiders CBs like to play tight & inside. The Packs WRs were a bit taller. Give your guy a shot to make a play.

"If you want to say that Green Bay is scary because of Ahman Green I might buy it but I think the Favre mystique is hyped a bit too much. He is (was?) a great QB but not the god that some in the media make him out to be."

Mabye that's why I wouldn't want to play the Packers. I don't think Favre is overhyped based on what guy who face him say about him. The common theme-strong arm (still has it), takes chances (sometimes not so good)..... fearless, focused & loose (makes a mistake, shake it off & go back to the drawing board). A guy drops a ball, he'll give him another shot (just don't drop too many). I noticed some of the Greats lose it after throwing a pick or 2, especially in a playoff game. This guy always has his head in the game.

During the season, it seems like he was just floating at times. The Raider game was the most focused I've seen him this season. If he brings that focus to the game, bad for who faces them. Still, he thinks he can do it all. The guy doesn't know the word quit. When is the last time you saw Favre just give up? I've seen guys who knew they were beat, just tank it. McNair (who is the SOLE MVP imho) is the guy who will take Favre's spot when he leaves. That's what you need in a QB. Green is huge & that's a given, but you know he's coming. As the Old Timers here know, I am not huge on stats. Favre has slung some BAD INTs this year. Still, I need his confidence on the field just to keep everyones head in the game.

Sidenote. Sunday in Green Bay= 20 degrees (wind chill between 5-10 degrees). It should be fun to watch.