Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Please forgive the U.S.-centric bias of the last post. The rule that I cited relating to partnership allocations is based on partnership law in the States. I know nothing of England's partnership law, although it is a common law jurisdiction like the U.S.

Here's some detail from Psion's financial statement, which may (or may not) shed some light on the current ownership and profit-sharing structure of Symbian:

On August 28th 1998 Psion completed the formation of Symbian, a new joint venture company formed from Psion Software, previously wholly owned by Psion. On its formation Symbian was jointly owned by Psion (40%), Nokia (30%) and Ericsson (30%). On February 12th 1999, following approval from the European Commission, Motorola joined the venture as an equity partner. Symbian issued new shares, diluting the existing shareholders' stakes in Symbian pro rata. Psion now holds 30.7% with Nokia, Ericsson and Motorola each holding 23.1%. Psion's 1998 results reflect the Nokia and Ericsson element of the transaction and record a total gain of £33.4m. Exceptional gains of £11.4m are shown in the profit and loss account to reflect the sale of shares and IPR to the joint venture. Following the injection of £40m of cash by Nokia and Ericsson into Symbian, Psion recorded a £22.0m balance sheet gain, reflecting Psion's share of the increased net assets.

http://www.annualreport.psion.com/financialreview.htm

Again, I would suggest contacting Psion IR to confirm the details of the profit-sharing arrangement among the Symbian partners.

Ron
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.