Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Please help I am stumped. I am 27 single and have $17,100 sitting in the TSP (the governmnet's 401K plan) despite having left over a year ago. One of our advisors that works with my present employers is trying to get me to roll this over to my existing Roth IRA.

I talked with financial guru Ric Edleman last night and he said it would be better to roll over to a deductable regular IRA. He said the advisor who gave me this advice never looked at a spread sheet and that the object of investing is to create wealth not lower taxes.

I am confused, my "advisor" says sure I will have to pay taxes on the $17,100 next year but then never again with a Roth. What should I do? On the surface the Roth seems like a better way to go. Any ideas
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.