Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Please let's define WIN and Lose.
RE: <<
If Rambus loses, then nothing happens and it stays the same as it is today.

I don't think so. Everybody else would stop paying RMBS royalties if Hitachi wins.
>>

There are 4 possible outcomes.
1) SDRAM and DDRAM are violations of Rambus patents
2) DDRAM is a violation of Rambus patents
3) Neither of the above
4) RDRAM is has not patent protection because of prior art.

4) is extremely unliklely. Please check out all 4 sublinks under http://www.dramreview.com/dramrev/ip/ip.html for a better explanation. Based on the above SDRAM violating Rambus patents is far far more likely than option 4.

1) would be settled out of court early as Rambus would probably not try for back royalties. I can not even begin to figure out how much Rambus would be entitled to if option one is ruled and they collected back royalties. Guarantee you one thing - I retire soon.
On a risk/reward scenario IMO thsi is far more likely than 1) but still not likely.

Now lets look at the main plays.
2) DDR is a violation of Rambus patents. I believe this is likely and stock will shoot up quick if this is the ruling. It may or may not be contested. Rambus has stated that if this is decided in court Hitachi will not get a license to make DDR or RDRAM. The pressure is really on Hitachi IMO.

3) DDR is not a violation of Rambus patents. In the LONG haul I do not believe it will matter much. RDRAM has more design wins: LU PMCS VTSS MOT TXN SITERA etc etc etc (oops I keep forgetting SUN MAJC servers and Sony playstations). Intel is not going to redesign their chipsets. What design wins does DDR have? Not many. Where is DDR anyway? Would stock suffer in short term. You bet. How much I do not know but it probably would not be pretty.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.