Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 36
Please nominate me for Apple's board of directors, by sending a brief message to investor_relations@apple.com

You can use your own words, or the following:

As a shareholder of Apple computer, I'd like to nominate Rodger Garfinkle to serve on Apple's Board of Directors. He can be reached by email at RodgerRafter@mac.com.

I will be sending in the following message later today, and would appreciate the usual help from this board in refining and editing my message:

Dear Mr. Levinson and Mr. Campbell,

The current Board of Directors is made up of exceptional individuals who offer their own unique contributions, insights and perspective to the company. I believe that I also am an exceptional individual with a unique perspective that would be a valuable addition to the Board. As the current owner of 6400 shares of Apple Computer Inc., I am requesting an opportunity to interview with either of you by phone, email or in person and hope to be included in the next proxy as a nominee for Apple's Board of Directors.

Incorporating a diverse range of ideas and opinions has made Apple a great innovator and leader in the field of technology. I believe Apple will benefit further if more individuals with unique and valuable perspectives are added to the Board of Directors. My own unique perspective comes as the result of:

12 years as a public elementary school teacher
22 years as an Apple customer
5 years as an Apple shareholder
4 years as a member of the Board of Directors of a non-profit organization

As a result of these experiences I have developed important skills as a consensus builder that would enable me to work effectively with the rest of Apple's Board. I recognize that through collaboration, an effective group can achieve far more than any individual. (Indeed, the ability to improve the process of collaboration and the sharing of ideas is true power of the internet and the area where Apple needs to look first as it attempts to develop new products and applications.) Each individual also has unique contributions to make that can make the group stronger. As a prospective director, I envision myself making the following contributions to the Board:

I would reach out to the education community for ideas and insights. As a public school teacher I believe my perspective would enable me to filter and process those ideas and bring the most important ones directly to the Board.

As a shareholder, I would reach out to other shareholders, both individual and institutional, for ideas and insights, empowering them and giving them a greater sense of ownership in the company. Many investors have lost confidence in the Apple and other companies, and I believe I am in a unique position to help restore some of that confidence.

As a long time customer, I understand many of the issues that are important to many of Apple's other customers. Apple already does an outstanding job of soliciting feedback from customers, and I believe that I can help put the vast amount of data collected into perspective for the Board.

One side effect of Apple's current Board being comprised of highly motivated and talented individuals is that these individuals typically have a great many responsibilities that cut into the time they have to perform their duties for the company. Perhaps the most important unique contribution I can make, therefore, is my time.

I am available by email at RodgerRafter@mac.com, phone at (excluded in this post), or by US mail at (excluded) if either of you would like to contact me. I am eager to expand on the ideas in this letter if given the opportunity.

Thank you,

Rodger Garfinkle
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Two things I saw on a quick run-through:

Many investors have lost confidence in the Apple and other companies,

Snip the "the".

One side effect of Apple's current Board being comprised of highly motivated and talented individuals is that these individuals typically have a great many responsibilities that cut into the time they have to perform their duties for the company. Perhaps the most important unique contribution I can make, therefore, is my time.

I'm not comfortable with this paragraph. It sounds like you're contrasting yourself with the current board. Are you saying you're not highly motivated and talented?

I don't hold any stock, so can't nominate you. But good luck.

-rf
No. of Recommendations: 0
1st paragraph:

The current Board of Directors is made up of exceptional individuals who offer their own unique contributions, insights and perspective to the company. I believe that I {also am an exceptional individual with a}=>{HAVE A} unique perspective that would be a valuable addition to the Board. As the current owner of 6400 shares of Apple Computer Inc., I am requesting an opportunity to {interview with}=>{MEET} either of you {by phone, email or in person}=>(0) and hope to be included in the next proxy as a nominee for Apple's Board of Directors.

We are all exceptional individuals, I think you want to meet them not interview them, and it's obvious how they can do that, if you leave your coordinates.

It's a nice, short letter, the shorter the better.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Please nominate me for Apple's board of directors,
by sending a brief message to investor_relations@apple.com

In what ways do you think you will benefit
shareholders by serving on apples board?

How do you think apple should approach the PC World?

What specific things should apple do to enhance:

The switcher campaign.
The educational sales/value.

What strategic guideance do you have for apple management?

Do you think there would be any conflict of interest being an educator
and on the board of a computer supplier to educational institutions?
What whould you do to minimize this conflic of interest.

0xF00L
No. of Recommendations: 4
Good Questions OxFOOL

I think its a long shot that Levinson and Campbell will want to put me on the ballot, but I hope to at least get an opportunity to get them thinking about the same issues I brought up with Fred Anderson a month ago.

If I do get the nominating committee's attention, I'll need to present my case to them, and to shareholders if I get on the proxy, and your questions make for a good starting point. As always, I'd welcome help from other members of this board in presenting my case.

In what ways do you think you will benefit
shareholders by serving on apples board?

I would come to the board as a long term shareholder interested primarily in protecting the interests of shareholders. I would present a shareholder's perspective with regard to issues such as executive compensation and corporate governance. To a large degree, I believe this perspective is lacking on the current board of directors, whose members are all current or former CEOs of large corporations. I think my perspective would be valuable in helping the board understand how its actions are likely to impact the company's shareholders.

Currently I believe most shareholders feel the board of directors is inaccessible to them if they have concerns about the company or strategic suggestions. I would work to change that by creating a message board forum where shareholders could relay their concerns and desires directly to the Board and receive assurance that their ideas are being considered.

How do you think Apple should approach the PC World?

As an outsider I do not have access to all the market research that has been available to the current Board of Directors, and it is likely that my opinions would change somewhat if I gained access to new information. With that said, I believe the current strategy of incremental growth and developing ways to coexist in a Wintel world have been working well without forcing the company to take on unnecessary risks. Apple is rapidly approaching a point in time, however, where it will be in position to compete for new markets much more aggressively. In general, I would likely be a director pushing for a somewhat more aggressive approach than the the current board has advocated toward competing for new markets.

What specific things should apple do to enhance:

The switcher campaign.
The educational sales/value

The switcher campaign has probably reached saturation, and is likely reaching the end of its usefulness. It is probably time for a new marketing campaign to take its place. Apple now has enough compelling products that it can probably make a much more logical, practical and direct appeal in its marketing. In general, I'd favor more specific campaigns aimed at targeted groups, rather than broad campaigns focused at the mainstream.

Apple users are Apple's most important sales force. A computer purchaser is going to trust the people around him or her far more than they would trust a commercial or company sales representative. I would work to empower teachers who are already mac users and supporters to go after the decision makers in their own districts and make the case for Macs. In the end, I think this is the most cost effective way to increase sales in just about every market. It's also the way that requires the biggest leap of faith by management and to a degree it lessens management's control over the process.

What strategic guideance do you have for apple management?

Apple's future success depends on looking forward for new ideas and applications. The comments by that Microsoft former employee - that his company needed to search out new applications that take place on a network level, rather than an individual computer level - were right on the money. Apple has made a name for itself for ease of use by studying human behavior and building applications that conform to the way people think and work. There is a similar opportunity for the company to excel by looking at the way groups collaborate and how Apple products might facilitate that process. I have many ideas already as to how the company would accomplish this.

Do you think there would be any conflict of interest being an educator
and on the board of a computer supplier to educational institutions?
What whould you do to minimize this conflic of interest.

Every individual has unique biases that effect their decisions and can lead to potential conflicts of interest. It is important for me to be aware of my own biases, and to work within a group to minimize those conflicts. It is unlikely that I could personally profit from these potential conflicts of interest, but I recognize that I might be inclined to overemphasize the educational market with regards to Apple's overall strategy. Since the educational market is already a key market for Apple, and I would be the only educator on the Board of Directors, it is unlikely that my position as an educator would lead to a meaningful conflict on the board.

Feedback is always welcome,

Rodg.
I just sent the e-mail. I don't know how many nominations you need, but you definitely have one from me.

Chris
No. of Recommendations: 3
In general, I would likely be a director pushing for a somewhat
more aggressive approach than the the current board has advocated
toward competing for new markets.

A bit vague... By more agressive approach do you mean more
advertizing, more stores, reducing prices, some combination, or other?

In general, I'd favor more specific campaigns aimed at
targeted groups, rather than broad campaigns focused
at the mainstream.

I guess this is something I am not sure I agree with. However,
depending on what size targeted groups you are talking about there
might be no conflict.

I think many large corporations do a good job to target minorities,
etc, but apples products are larger ticket items than clothing, and
food. I am not sure that it would apply as much. They certainly have
a good cross section of america in the switcher ads, so they certainly
know that it shouldn't be ignored.

Also apples story is basically one of fairly universal appeal.

Great apps for music, video, pictures. Software that works well.

Hardware that is a premium product.

I guess I am not sure which groups you want to target, so these thoughts
are hard to finalize.

But generally good responses.

0xF00L

Now the hard part of doing anything on the internet is convincing
someone you are not a dog ;)
No. of Recommendations: 2
Please nominate me for Apple's board of directors, by sending a brief message to investor_relations@apple.com

Kinda bold coming on a website and saying "Hey! Vote for me!"

I'll do it---but only if I get 29 recs like RR.
:)
Done! Here's my email:

As the proud owner of 225 shares of AAPL, and a member of The Motley Fool AAPL discussion board, I would like to nominate Rodger Garfinkle, at RodgerRafter@mac.com, for the Apple board of directors. His value to our discussion board has been inestimable and I believe his services would be of great value to Apple as well.

Regards,
Jennifer L. Bales
jbales@mac.com