Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 50
to nominate Michael Read for a special Feste Award this year, if you would.

As I am aware:

No one has more avidly appreciated, respected and supported the honor than Michael.

Few are as versed in Shakespeare as Michael... or old enough to have known Shakespeare, personally, as Michael likely is. ~ ~

No one has "lost" the award more than Michael - OK, might be Alzheimer's Disease. ~ ~

Michael will teach you how to fish, rather than give you a fish - What can I say, he's cheap, but long in the tooth on wisdom - knows some of the best fishing spots in the world, how to fillet a Salmon - and down a beer or 2 in the process.

So, I'd like to nominate Michael for this year's Feste Award - and/or a special award for his contributions...

perhaps a Diamond F with an Emerald background.

3 (required) posts, yet but a few:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26270052&bid=115596

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26271518&bid=115596

Send me your address and a set of Ginsu knives will arrive shortly.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26198864&bid=115596

Respectfully,
Bob
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Contra: Those scrolly posts he loves to compose. Some even say those posts are boring.
Pro: In real life he's probably not boring at all.

Abe
No. of Recommendations: 2
to nominate Michael Read for a special Feste Award this year, if you would.

As I am aware:

No one has more avidly appreciated, respected and supported the honor than Michael.

Few are as versed in Shakespeare as Michael... or old enough to have known Shakespeare, personally, as Michael likely is. ~ ~

No one has "lost" the award more than Michael - OK, might be Alzheimer's Disease. ~ ~

Michael will teach you how to fish, rather than give you a fish - What can I say, he's cheap, but long in the tooth on wisdom - knows some of the best fishing spots in the world, how to fillet a Salmon - and down a beer or 2 in the process.

Bob

Thank you, Bob. You not only get the Ginsu knives but, if you call now, a quart of SuperLubey ‘Get 100 miles more per tankfull,’ and its companion product Glopgrease ‘Never oil a hinge ever again’. As I said in the infomercial: “Feste is not only for the squeaky.” Of course, in saying that I was a mite hammered to don’t take this literally or even try to understand it.

So onto the competition for The Feste Award or, as it’s know around the Read House, shameless self-promotion. While others nominated bask in the fact of being nominated (and rightly so) I, on the other hand, don’t have that cachet. Their loftiness is assured, mine isn’t. Their standing is assured by competence and aptness, mine is an uphill slog reminding everyone their vote is not wasted – something in six years (now seven) I have yet to accomplish.

And I have tried, lord, I have tried. Through years one through six I have tried to no avail. Bogey, in one year, suggested I get the Susan Lucci Award (Ms. Lucci got the Emmy after 18 failed nominations) and later I did a faux interview with her. Motley gets around and Ms. Lucci responded delightfully. I think I am in love.

Where was I? Right, shameless self promotion. And this year, from seeing the nominations to date, it’s going to be harder this year than last. Heck, there’s another 19 days to go and they’re already nominating the heavy hitters.

This year I don’t think being able to filet a salmon in less than a minute is going to cut it (it didn’t six years in a row but I’m holding on to it – think hard, voters, can any of the competition flay a salmon? Ha!).

Bob, thanks for your support.

MichaelR
No. of Recommendations: 0
Contra: Those scrolly posts he loves to compose. Some even say those posts are boring.
Pro: In real life he's probably not boring at all.

Abe

Thanks, Abe - Axully, I find Michael's posts amusing (and enriching) - Then again, I don't know how many found Shakespeare's literary works significant, in his time here.

Bob *wouldn't mind going fishing, and tipping a few, with Michael, at all*
No. of Recommendations: 1
Why don't we just give him a lifetime achievement award or somesuch and save him the embarrassment of losing again.
Why don't we just give him a lifetime achievement award or somesuch and save him the embarrassment of losing again.

A Malvolio perhaps?

Zz
No. of Recommendations: 2
Why don't we just give him a lifetime achievement award or some such and save him the embarrassment of losing again.

A Malvolio perhaps?

Zz

Good Lord, another Shakespeare lover. Yet I doubt a Malvolio since:

Malvolio's function in this comedy is more difficult to evaluate. Certainly, on a basic level, he functions as a contrast to the merrymakers, Sir Toby and Sir Andrew; he is a somber shadow of the aristocratic world and a sober reminder to Feste that the world is a serious place. While the other characters are almost always happy, Malvolio is grave. He emphasizes the importance of dignity, decency, decorum and "good order"; yet when he thinks he sees a chance for advancement with Olivia, he abandons all such proper conduct and behaves like an utter fool.

If not The Feste then let it be The Sir Toby Belch Award realizing it is more apt (I belch exceedingly well) and in every English pub there’s a Toby mug so, if I go there, I can cadge a beer or two.

MichaelR

I have "lost" many times, yet felt no embarrassment - "Losing a battle" can be "a learning experience". "Losing a war" is another matter - I am very confident that Michael does not venture into the later. As to the former, "It ain't over." ~ ~

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 5

I have "lost" many times, yet felt no embarrassment - "Losing a battle" can be "a learning experience". "Losing a war" is another matter - I am very confident that Michael does not venture into the latter. As to the former, "It ain't over." ~ ~

Bob

I have not been embarrassed by losing The Feste though I have to admit the first time I curled into a fetal ball and cried for weeks; the second needed Prozac; the third called for professional help; the fourth I climbed a mountain and sat on the summit contemplating life for a month; the fifth I thought seriously emigrating to the Antarctic; the sixth I realized my luck rabbit’s foot had lost its mojo; and, on the eve of the seventh, sit here with quivering lip and a foreboding it ain’t gonna go well this year.

Bob, look at the competition. Bright, intelligent, competent. Albaby1, a poster who is incisive and cogent; pencils2, a teen with a Buffet mind; Averagejoe, a man who realized nothing is solved by tears so makes laughter; mungofitch and his analysis of MI; stevenklein for being an absolute mench; redsavina for consistency; WatchingThe Herd, possibly one of the best writers I have the pleasure of reading even though I don’t always agree; reggebah for his wry look at the world, and that's just who’ve been nominated so far.

It’s enough to make me weep in my beer.

You said, “It ain’t over…” Did you mean it ain’t over until it’s over or it ain’t over until the fat lady sings? If it’s the latter, a note to TMFTwitty: expect contralto Deirdre on the next bus.

MichaelR
If it’s the latter, a note to TMFTwitty: expect contralto Deirdre on the next bus.

*might* come to that, but do you have one of Essie's Salmon recipes that you/she would care to share - I'm hungry, and don't mind using extorsion!! ~ ~
Wake up, Michael - Geesh, we got stuff to do!!

I've booked a band for your winning of the Feste Award: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26293866&bid=115012

Ya gots to stay awake, within reason, though.
No. of Recommendations: 4
My favorite local band was a band called "The Guild" - great musicians...

Jim Ulkus, one of my high school's Spanish teachers and whose Mother taught one of my Lutheran school classes played trombone. Richard Lang had a great tenor voice - lead guitar player (one of my insurance clients); Gary (keyboard player) had a great voice (also one of my insurance clients.) Tom Kelly (later co-wrote "Like a Virgin" for Madonna) has had a very successful career in music, and Michael McDonald (later played for the BeeGees and has enjoyed many solo hits - still kicking a lick.) They came back and performed for, I *think*, our 25th high school class reunion - still outstanding.

Tom Kelly:
http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/virgin.html

Michael McDonald:
http://www.michaelmcdonald.com/

The Guild - local, some moons ago, as I knew them - The 3rd video down is a song that I liked a lot, which I think they performed better than the original artists - "Soul Shake"...
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro...

NoIDAtAll

Bob, you have excellent taste. Some of the happiest times I have spent were in bars where the pit band played as we sat, enjoyed the music, and times like that (this was many years ago) made up for working like a dog during the day; we were refreshed for the next day. Lord, I was a callow youth.

But now it’s not that. The air’s too clean, the music’s derivative, and pitchers of beer have been replaced with frou frou. The girls are as pretty yet it’s sanitized.

Back then I’d nurse a beer (I could stretch the budget to two so I could last most of the night) and the night would pass most agreeably. At Toronto’s Silver Rail on Yonge Street downtown I’d sit listening to Oscar Peterson with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen never realizing I was participating in history. Damn, if I could go back in time there’s where I’d like to be. Oscar died recently and with that a talent lost. And also a part of my past.

But what is past is past and onward to The Feste and, if I reach the finals, how to curry votes. Maybe, Bob, you’ve latched on to something in music. If I state a preference maybe I’ll garner votes from those sharing that preference. Trouble is I can’t stand much of modern ‘music’. Rap is crap, grunge is gawdawful; melody has been massacred, and tempo has been tormented. The airwaves are full of caterwauling females and bands, learning three chords and thinking ‘that’s enough’, produce (at volumes exceeding a Boeing 747) crapity crap crap crap.

So I elicit votes from those who remember smoky bars where tuneful musicians played and we would let time drift and occasionally applaud a nice piano or drum or bass line. Where we would be at the end of the week tired yet so much at ease beer in hand and hoping the evening would last forever.

MichaelR
I made a few mistakes in that post - Jim Ulkus' older Brother, Bill, played in the band and Michael McDonald played with the Doobbies, rather than the Bee Gees... been a long time - I, too, liked live bands, an experience that records and CDs can not equal...

Let the Good Times Roll
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=132482&fr=
The Guild - local, some moons ago, as I knew them - The 3rd video down is a song that I liked a lot, which I think they performed better than the original artists - "Soul Shake"...
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro......

Bob, you have excellent taste...

Geesh Michael, you meshed up the song wid too many periods in da link... What are we gonna do with you!! ;-)

Lemme help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpWhOs1MODo
A lot of bands have done renditions of "Soul Shake", in one variation or another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhDsHg3N2ls&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutWb3qRqqw&feature=related

I liked what The Guild did with it.
I liked what The Guild did with it.

just as I would like to see you win the Feste Award... Great talent.