No. of Recommendations: 204
The flashing dancing advertisements that is. I know there is an ad crunch. And many internet concerns are looking for ways to increase click throughs, but making the advertising jump all over the place while I'm trying to read a post or an article makes me car sick. You know like riding in a car while trying to read a book with the scenery rushing by.

I am taking the approach that if an ad flashes at me...never click it. We don't want to encourage a practice that is annoying and literally makes me dizzy and sick to my stomach, by clicking through...even if the ad interests me. I won't do it!

Further I'm not visiting those sites that persist with the flashing ads. When I see them I move on...immediately. I do not want to try to read an article or a post while a flashing whirling dervish is taking my attention away from what I came for in the first place.

If magazines started flashing at me, I'd toss them in the trash. When web sites start featuring flashing ads I have to trash them. Remember we come to the Fool to read, not get dizzy and sick. Now once I've clicked on an ad, then sure take me to the movies, but please don't make me read text and watch the movie at the same time.

This is very important to the Fool and to the medium as a whole. I am not putting up with it. If you think you can get away with sharing text and flashing nonsense on the same view you're nuts. You're making people ill. Some people are more susceptable to being annoyed by the flashing for sure. I'd wager that is a majority.

What good are you doing your advertisers and your business if the folks you are trying to reach leave? I'm taking a week off from the Fool. Then I'm coming back to see if the flashes have stopped. If I see a flashing ad, I'm taking a month away. I'll come back and check to see if it is still going on, if it is I may never return again.

If you're looking for ways to improve click throughs and advertising affect don't fall for the flashing stuff. It's going to backfire big time for anyone that uses the approach. We see the ads. We don't need them flashing at us.

Let me suggest that if you want to increase advertisement effectiveness try sharing the benefit of advertising with readers. Offer points or other goodies, good towards Fool merchandise or Seminars or an order of french fries for clicking through. But never...NEVER flash me again.

Good Grief,
LuxSit
Print the post  

Announcements

Community Town Hall
Banter, potshots, and all the stuff we said you can't post on ITF. Why not try it?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.