Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello GM Fools!

(Or are you simply a Foolish Four-er like me?)

Great discussion regarding the exchange.

I thought GMH fools might be more bullish than we were regarding the exchange but so far they are as puzzled as we are.

Their two most insightful posts to date begin with one by Duxton333. His lively post: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1120036000101003&sort=id gives the reasons for his puzzlement.

1. The proposal is highly repetitive

2. Hughes has gobs of debt and little cash

3. DirecTv, DirecPC, and DirecDuo are expensive

4. The package gives little info. about GM

5. Doesn't respect handling of Hughes over the years.

In the following post michael a g burton decides to hold his GM shares giving four reasons, including obfuscation in the proposal.

I haven't yet read my proposal but I do plan on seeing how management benefits from this. Have any Fools besides myself read Joel Greenblatt's You Too Can Be A Stock Market Genius? A good part of the book is about spinoffs and how to examine them for silver linings.

Just as a Rule Breaker criterion is overvalued in the press, one of Greenblatt's criterion is a confusing proposal: something both Duxton333 and Senor Burton described. Greenblatt gives several case studies in his book and cites one particularly confusing proposal that so many shareholders didn't (or couldn't!) understand, but was a brilliant restucturing move by none other than the king of cable, John Malone.

I'll go back to my notes--I certainly didn't expect this to happen to my Foolish Four portfolio. In any case, Greenblatt Foolishly advises us to keep an eye on spinoff opportunities to see when ugly ducklings can lay golden eggs.

I realize this is not a spinoff creation, but it is similar enough I'm curious.

If any other Fools have whims of the same kind, chime in (Why do you think there are bells on your cap?).

Best wishes,

pelode
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.