Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
polite version:

Do those things as an analyst that you know you can do well, and only those things. If you can really beat the market by charts, by astrology, or by some rare and valuable gift of your own, then that's the row you could hoe. If you're really good at picking stocks most likely to succeed in the next 12 months, base your work on that endeavor. If you can foretell the next important development in the economy, or in technology, or in consumer's preference, and gauge its consequences for various equity values, then concentrate on that particular activity. But in each case you must prove to yourself by honest, no-bluffing self-examination and by continuous testing of performance, that you have what it takes to produce worthwhile results.

Had a DFA rep once tell me that Peter Lynch wasn't an example of alpha cause you could reproduced his returns via various DFA funds - made me laugh.

Above quote from Benjamin Graham

--

to be clear, I do get the point of your post, but reality has a megaphone....theory always a whimper.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.