No. of Recommendations: 3
I have yet to see mention in a company report of how much was spent for political contributions and lobbyists, but I would assume that if a company I own incures these expenses it would be to my benefit. If we were to ban corporations from political spending, it would give more weight to foreign governments and special interest groups. Eliminating political contributions would have to be an all or nothing game to maintain balance. Regarding the excerpt taken from The Declaration of Independence...deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...the author points out that it doesn't say "from the consent of the corporations formed by some of the governed and owned by some of the governed". I would point out that it also doesn't say "from the consent of the radical special interest groups whose opinions deviate from the vast majority of americans". The article also failed to mention corporate lobbying for causes that may be beneficial for all of us. Insurance companies for increased legislation of sprinkler systems in our public buildings, equals Decreased insurance costs as well as fewer lives lost to building fires. It would be wonderful to elect politicians who always vote for what's beneficial to the majority, as opposed to what will keep them in office. If you find one who does, let me know. goldenbb
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.