1. Is this country being just about open to any ill legal
entry that wants to come in?

2. Are they in process of openly holding demostrations
protesting laws that don't suite them?

3 .While this is going on is a large segment of our
people engaged in a discussion about justifing their
actions?

4. Should I be allowed to rape at will based on the sad
fact that I have an unsatisfied sex background?

If you see fit to reply to any of this, PLEASE omit any democrat,
republican statement. No desire to get into your or our political
views. But am very interested in your views of an America with
laws.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I know we have political boards, and that is the right place
for politics to be discussed.
for politics to be discussed.

I thought the title of this board was "Retired Fools".
I know that, as a retired person, I think a lot about politics.
What other subjects are not allowed on this board?
What, exactly, are Retired Fools allowed to talk about?

It doesn't say "Investment Conversations of Retired Fools"
Or "Sports Loved by Retired Fools"
Or.... well, you get the picture.

Are "Retired Fools" not to discuss politics?
How about Religion?
Can we talk about recipes we knew and loved?

Just asking here... because it seems that to disallow a subject that means so MUCH to all of our lives is to put our heads into the ground, our fingers into our ears, and sing "la la la la la".

So just wondering...

AM

No. of Recommendations: 0
Are "Retired Fools" not to discuss politics?
How about Religion?

I apologise for my knee-jerk response. It's true that I would prefer to discuss neither, because I have strong feelings about both, and it's almost guaranteed that my beliefs are polar to that of most of the board. But, I'm not the board cop, so have at it.

Hedge

I apologise for my knee-jerk response. It's true that I would prefer to discuss neither, because I have strong feelings about both, and it's almost guaranteed that my beliefs are polar to that of most of the board. But, I'm not the board cop, so have at it.

Hedge

It's not that I want to "have at it" so much as I just think that if something is bothering one of the posters and he comes here asking questions, we (all of us) should do him the courtesy of allowing him to speak and listening to him.

Things have changed so much -- not just in our country, but also in ourselves. And, as younger people come up I have witnessed the way older people are ignored and sometimes not even seen.

Once, a grocery store checker asked me a question about my mother something like, "Does she want whatever-it-was, etc., etc.?"

I answered her: "I don't know. Ask her." (My mother, nearly 80 - but not yet dead and certainly not deaf - was standing right in front of the checker.)

Please let's don't do this to each other just because we might not like the subject at hand.

AM
I tried to make entry that clearly stated I was not interested
in DemoCrat/Republican views. I sure don't want to leave the
impression that I am a 'board cop'. I was and am interested in
your impression of this illegal thing from an Amercan point of
view. Far as i'm concerned, anyone can put any question they
want on the board. If I am not interested in subject (something
has not happened yet) I can simply ignore it. Not try to stop
it.

Pleae review your position on the subject, and let us know what
it is. Mine should be made clear. If my details are accurate,
I consider it very dangerous to openly admit that we will not
only refuse to enforce our laws, but that we will cater to the lawbreakers. I wonder if even a Country as great as ours can
survive this attitude by our government. Immigration as we
learned it was a valuable contribution to America of legal
enries wanting to become a part of America. Not illegals wanting
to destroy our way of life by retaining their past history and
insisting that we also fail by it.

No. of Recommendations: 11
Here's a little injection of humor - I did not make this up and it's all true:

My father was born in New York City in 1907. His parents had recently immigrated from Sicily, and they had settled in the neighborhood called Little Italy. It was not until he started school at the age of 6 that my father found out he was speaking a "foreign" language - everyone he'd ever met spoke Italian.

And this is true, too, and funnier:

My father's Uncle Joe immigrated to New York at about the time the rest of the family did. Of course, as an adult, he knew he wasn't speaking English, and he wanted desperately to become American. He got a job in the garment district, and in about two years he was able to speak with his American co-workers fluently. Then he found out that he hadn't learned English at all! He had learned to speak fluent Yiddish! In his later years, when I knew him, he spoke English with a Jewish accent more than an Italian one.

Trini
No. of Recommendations: 1
" illegals wanting
to destroy our way of life by retaining their past history and
insisting that we also fail by it."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Forgive me, this is not an area where I have any expertise -
but from what I see, the illegal immigrants are coming over the border
to make money they can't make where they are from. This does not seem
to be an attempt to destroy our way of life.
This seems to be a way of trying to improve their life.

If our politicos want to provide services to the folks who
have arrived, complain to the politicos ---- vote other politicos
in who will cut off or reduce the services.

The folks who have arrived are still better off than they would be
if they were in their own legal country.

Don't want to provide in-state tuition?
Vote someone in who will say "No." Don't be surprised if the folks
don't get their kid into school anyway ---- somehow or other ----
cause that gets their kid advancement --- and that is what they are
here for.

How can you stop folks from taking any chance they can to get to the
United States? There simply is no better place in the world.
We are a rare place and are a rare people.
And we seem to always get better.
Regardless of oil prices, regardless of science test scores,
regardless of folks claiming greed or racism or excessive Christianity
or excessive hedonism, or favoritism to the rich, or excessive
redistribution of wealth to poor undeserving slobs, regardless of
screaming antisemites claiming favoritism for Israel or other
foreign zealots claiming we have things we don't deserve and
they don't have as much.

Howie52
The problem is not who is here or how they got here or what can or
can't we do with them or what they can or can't do with us.
The problem is that none of the proposed legislation will do
didly to keep folks from coming ----
arrest and deport illegals? Folks will turn around at the border.
build a wall? Folks will tunnel.
patrol the border? Folks will watch and run --- or will take boats.
shoot them? Folks will send decoys.
don't provide services? Folks will work longer and harder to get enough
to survive.
Hire more border patrol? Folks will bribe someone and get through.

The real issue is - even if you legalize everyone right now - how do
you stop getting back in the exact same position in a few years?

The problem is that we live better than anyone else in the world.
Folks want to be here.

I can't blame them.

If I were in their shoes, I'd risk everything to get here.

How can you stop folks from taking any chance they can to get to the
United States? There simply is no better place in the world.

I'm not so sure of this any longer.
Quite frankly, if our government doesn't change -- and soon -- I'm thinking of heading for Canada. Do you suppose I can get in illegally like others do here? :o)

AM
"Quite frankly, if our government doesn't change -- and soon -- I'm thinking of heading for Canada. Do you suppose I can get in illegally like others do here? :o)

AM "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dress warmly and take some bug spray for the flys.

But keep in mind,
our government changes every 2 to 6 years - 8 on the outside. Just
takes candidates and ideas that win elections. And also keep in mind
that ideas trump the government most times. If an idea is good
enough, people will support it whether it is government approved or
not. The trick is to have the good idea and recognize how to get
the idea in front of the right folks. A lot of folks just don't
understand how to get ideas in front or why ideas implemented are
more important than holding power.

Howie52
Pack a sandwich or two as well if you go.
But think twice.
You'll never find 100% agreement on anything - some folks don't
even like ice cream.

Went yo see Smothers Brothers At the Theater. Tommy explained
POLOTICS
Poly _ meaning many
Tics - Blood sucing parasit

Yep.

Yep. Easy chance to round them all up. Somebody really blew it. Of course it couldn't be because Big Business and Big Agriculture want them here, could it? Nahh.

actions?

Yep.

Not exactly the same thing, but point taken.

I guess we might as well face it. Immigration is here to stay as long as the big money likes it that way.

Well, it means big profits. And this is an investing site, right?
Once, a grocery store checker asked me a question about my mother something like, "Does she want whatever-it-was, etc., etc.?"

I answered her: "I don't know. Ask her." (My mother, nearly 80 - but not yet dead and certainly not deaf - was standing right in front of the checker.)

AM

Maybe the checker didn't want to embarrass your Mom thinking that if she did have to repeat the question would do that.

When the blind go out with a sighted person to a restaurant the same thing happens and I don't think it's rude as much as the servers really don't know how to handle the situation.

If we are going to talk taboo subjects – politics, religion, and sex – here's my contribution:

Politics: There's too much of that going around these days.

Religion: Incense causes asthma attacks while candles cause soot.

Sex: There's not enough of that going around these days.

MichaelR

Politics: There's too much of that going around these days.

Sex: There's not enough of that going around these days.

So, should we place a ban on politics in public? :o)

Hedge
No. of Recommendations: 7
for politics to be discussed. But this ill legal entry in the
US, although much to much of a political football, in my opinion
goes far beyond that. If the following is incorrect, i would
really appreciate being corrected.

I would say that you should be prepared to take the heat. Just about any position you might take will get someon stirred up, and the discussions will get heated. There might even be some name-calling. Quotes from Ayn Rand, Quotes from JFK, Quotes from MLK, or whatever. It will be interesting to see how this board handles a hot political potato.

That said, here's my say: The immigrants come here for jobs. We have laws on the books making it illegal to hire anyone with no documentation. That's what green cards are for, or citizenship proof. Baring such papers, it is illegal to hire them. Just enforce the laws we already have and the "problem" goes away. Rather than harrass the poor bastards who are trying to feed their families, why not go after the ones hiring them? Much easier to enforce, if we (the politicians, in particular the administration) had the will to enforce it. They don't. They want the cheap labor pool.

Point two: I have heard that we have 16 million illegals. Yet we have full employment. Unemployment is low. If those 16 million disappeared, who would fill their jobs?

Final point: I don't want the US to become latinized. I wish all immigrantw would emmuate the German, Swedish, Italian, Chinese, and Japanese immigrants who learned English as quickly as they could, and who encouraged their children to speak English. This doesn't seem to obtain with the Latino folks. I don't know why. If I immigrated to France, or Germany, or Japan, I would make it a high priority to speak the language, ans to get my children to speak the Lingua Franca of the nation where we found ourselves.

My 2¢. Still the same low price.

cliff

AM

Maybe the checker didn't want to embarrass your Mom thinking that if she did have to repeat the question would do that.

I can't imagine on what the checker could have based such an assumption. My mother was neither deaf, dumb, blind, nor stupid. She was merely aged. And she was standing right in front of the checker. It's extremely rude to talk about someone to someone else when the person is standing right in front of you -- as though they are completely without ears to hear or a brain to process what is being said.

When the blind go out with a sighted person to a restaurant the same thing happens and I don't think it's rude as much as the servers really don't know how to handle the situation.

What was there to handle? Do you stop speaking to people simply because they are old? My mother was as sighted as I was. She could hear as well. The only difference was that she was old.

AM

What was there to handle? Do you stop speaking to people simply because they are old? My mother was as sighted as I was. She could hear as well. The only difference was that she was old.

AM

But the checker didn't know your Mom was sprightly. You did. It was a difference of perception – not deliberate 'ageism'. What pissed you off was the automatic assumption your Mom wasn't full of beans. Isn't it so true that youth is wasted on the young? And that sometimes youth is a euphemism for inexperienced?

Sometimes it is inexperience. Here in White Rock we have a lot of old farts (I think White Rock is the capitol of motorized carts) and the checkers at the supermarket and elsewhere know that age isn't an impediment to being able to transact something. They, the clerks, have learned that wrinkles don't equate with a lack of the ability to think.

Yet, today, with me looking like death warmed over (hint: invest in Sudafed) I was asked if I'd like help in moving my purchases to my car. I said no but it was nice to be asked. I didn't think that being asked was a sign of infirmity but a kind gesture.

I don't know what you said to the checker but here's what I would have said. “Why don't you ask her yourself?”

MichaelR

Being new to retired boards I am a littled confused at how
quickly the illegals question was turned into sensativity at
a store.

But I guess that is the beauty of this board. One person can
ask what they please, and in turn the responser can answer what
what he pleases. Thats called 'free speech' A lot of good
Americans have died proecting this right, so who am I to get
upset if a group of illegals want to use this country for that
very purpose.
Now I'm confused. Why would anyone willing move to France?? Hal
Quite frankly, if our government doesn't change -- and soon -- I'm thinking of heading for Canada. Do you suppose I can get in illegally like others do here?

It's easy to get in illegally--just go as a visitor and stay there. But you might have some difficulty qualifying for health coverage--that requires permanent resident status. Here in OR an illegal can get a drivers license, but I think they're a little more discriminating about who gets coverage up north.

DW is a Canadian and we explored the possibility of retiring in BC because we love the PNW and to save on health coverage. But my research showed that living in WA and paying our own premiums would be cheaper overall because of the higher Canadian tax burden.

And anyway, the Canadian system is falling apart. A Quebec man sued his province last year because they didn't let citizens obtain private care and he was tired of waiting for some procedure.

Canada's own supreme court ruled that their health care system is a danger to the populace, and that access to a waiting list is not the same thing as access to care.

And besides, just because you move to Canada, it doesn't mean that George Bush won't still be listening to your phone calls.<g>

--fleg

It would seem that if they want in badly enough they'll eventually get in. In theory we could keep them out, but in theory we could eliminate tax cheating. The problem is we don't have the resources to install an IRS monitor in every household. A larger problem is that we wouldn't put up with it, and for good reason.

Molly Ivins, always a good read whether you agree with her or not, wrote a great piece not long ago in which she mentioned a fence breaching contest at a barbeque cookoff she judged some years ago when similar "build a fence" talk was about. I don't remember the structural details, but it was a substantial fence. The first person "over under or through" took less than a minute.

While border control is important, I think it's getting too much emphasis currently, at the expense of addressing "why do they come?"

The presence of illegals is hardly news unless you subscribe to the ostrich school of reality. They did not wake up one morning and decide that they were tired of being illegal and wanted the laws changed. They are demonstrating in response to Congressional debate, and not only illegals are involved.

actions?

But am very interested in your views of an America with
laws.

Would that life were so simple that you could say, "It's the law, and that's that!"

Your comparing the assault on and sexual violation of another person with someone trying to get a $5.00/hr job picking strawberries is either naive or a cynical red herring. Don't cry "Hitler!" in a crowded theater if you want a real discussion.

I have many more questions than answers. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that we as a society don't really want every illegal to magically disappear. As just one example, meat packing plants across Kansas were closed yesterday. I'm sure if you asked company officials you'd be told that every worker, huge percentages of whom are immigrants, is legal. Watch for the wink and nod during the conversation.

Phil
I'm thinking of heading for Canada. Do you suppose I can get in illegally like others do here?

If you try, don't be obvious. I met someone who was turned back at the border because the amount of stuff he had crammed into the passenger compartment of his car made it clear he wasn't going for a visit.

Phil
I wish all immigrantw would emmuate the German, Swedish, Italian, Chinese, and Japanese immigrants who learned English as quickly as they could, and who encouraged their children to speak English. This doesn't seem to obtain with the Latino folks.

I don't think your ethnic distinctions hold up today, and I suspect it has more to do with numbers and concentrations rather than country of origin. Chicago, with more Poles than any other city in the world save Warsaw, has Polish language newspapers and radio stations to this day. There are areas in suburban Washington, DC in which one can get along perfectly well speaking only Vietnamese. You can get along nicely in Garden City, KS (lots of meat packing) speaking only Spanish or Vietnamese.

The children are learning English. I do volunteer tax preparation, and the site I worked at this year served mostly immigrants. I had children translating for their parents in at least a half dozen different languages.

Phil

Maybe it's just me, but I find life easier if I assume good will rather than ill intent every time I encounter a stupid remark. It's rude to treat stupidity as rudeness, and once you've done so it's hard to get back where you started in the interaction.

Case in point. I've spent the last week doing start-up duties as executor of my best friend's estate. In my good moments I'm emotionally fragile. I called a credit card company to notify them:

"I need to report the death of a cardholder."

"I'll be happy to assi.........." followed by dead silence, followed by some fumbling for words, followed by the beginning of what could have been a 5 minute apology had I not interrupted her with an understanding response.

All the while I'm thinking "Thank God this one speaks English and seems to understand the service part of Customer Service." I have theatrical training, so I could have burst into tears over her insensitivity, but I'm not sure how that would have made the world spin faster or get one more thing ticked off my list.

Perhaps the clerk assumed that your mother was incapable of speaking for herself. Perhaps there was something in your interaction with your mother that implied that you were "taking care" of her. Come to think of it, an obviously old woman grocery shopping with a woman of a different generation could easily be so interpreted. Let's face it, this isn't many people's idea of a fun Girls Night Out.

All that said, I do agree that old people are often treated as invisible, as are the handicapped. If old people haven't learned by now how to make themselves noticed, perhaps they shouldn't be let loose by themselves. When they do find themselves ignored when out with others, I think your "I don't know, ask her" is a perfect way of dealing with it, just as is asking a blind person (or confused tourist holding a map upside down) in the subway, "May I help you?"

Phil

Being new to retired boards I am a littled confused at how
quickly the illegals question was turned into sensativity at
a store.

When I was in college we often had fun, at the end of dinner, trying to figure out how we got to the final topic of conversation from the first.

Phil
Why would anyone willing move to France??

To get foi gras, which has now been outlawed in Chicago.

Phil

But the checker didn't know your Mom was sprightly. You did. It was a difference of perception – not deliberate 'ageism'. What pissed you off was the automatic assumption your Mom wasn't full of beans. Isn't it so true that youth is wasted on the young? And that sometimes youth is a euphemism for inexperienced?

Sometimes it is inexperience. Here in White Rock we have a lot of old farts (I think White Rock is the capitol of motorized carts) and the checkers at the supermarket and elsewhere know that age isn't an impediment to being able to transact something. They, the clerks, have learned that wrinkles don't equate with a lack of the ability to think.

Yet, today, with me looking like death warmed over (hint: invest in Sudafed) I was asked if I'd like help in moving my purchases to my car. I said no but it was nice to be asked. I didn't think that being asked was a sign of infirmity but a kind gesture.

I don't know what you said to the checker but here's what I would have said. “Why don't you ask her yourself?”

MichaelR

Michael, apparently you are not paying attention since I told you in an earlier post exactly what I said to the checker. And what you suggested is nearly exactly what I DID tell the checker. And you are just plain wrong in your assumptions here. What reason (other than age) would the checker have to think my mother was incapable of answering a question about her own self? She was ambulatory -- standing right there in front of the checker. She was vocal. She could hear. She could see. On what basis, EXACTLY, could the checker have concluded that she was too infirm of brain and body to answer a simple question about her own preferences? You tell me, because I'm at a complete loss.

I stand by my original statement. Young people tend to look right through the elderly at times -- as though they were already dead and useless. It's humiliating. Especially coming from people who haven't yet lived enough life to even know what it's all about.

If you don't get it at this point, I give up on you since you will never get it.

AM

Molly Ivins, always a good read whether you agree with her or not, wrote a great piece not long ago in which she mentioned a fence breaching contest at a barbeque cookoff she judged some years ago when similar "build a fence" talk was about. I don't remember the structural details, but it was a substantial fence. The first person "over under or through" took less than a minute.

This sounds like an engineering challenge totally muffed to me.
The "fence" should have been a wall that curved outward -- toward the side of the illegals. It's damned hard to climb a solid wall that goes straight up for a ways and then curves back towards you. On top of that could have been placed razor-sharp spikes several inches long -- much too long for a blanket placed over them to have been any good.

I betcha it would take longer than a minute to get over THAT "fence" without a demolition dozer. ;o)

AM, loves thinking up answers to a challenge.

Also... on second thought..... how come prisoners find it so difficult to get over prison fences? Is it because they are not trying? Or are those fences better built?
"Also... on second thought..... how come prisoners find it so difficult to get over prison fences? Is it because they are not trying? Or are those fences better built? "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is a difference between a rectangle and a line.
There is a difference between a short wall and a long wall.
The southern border would be a very, very, very, very long wall.

Howie52
Tempted to add a few more verys - but I think the idea comes across.

Also... on second thought..... how come prisoners find it so difficult to get over prison fences? Is it because they are not trying? Or are those fences better built?

Because there are guards every few feet with guns? The Mexican border is thousands of miles long.

Because there are guards every few feet with guns? The Mexican border is thousands of miles long.

I thought we were talking about the engineering of a fence -- a fence's inability to be breached. Not about people with guns. Forgetting about the guns, are the prison fences easily breached?

Just wondering.

AM
No. of Recommendations: 3
Now I'm confused.

That's plain to see.

Why would anyone willing move to France?? Hal

Umm..the food? the climate? the culture? no Texans? I love the USA, but if I had the income I'd sure consider it.
I stand by my original statement. Young people tend to look right through the elderly at times -- as though they were already dead and useless. It's humiliating. Especially coming from people who haven't yet lived enough life to even know what it's all about.

If you don't get it at this point, I give up on you since you will never get it.

AM

Aw, come on. AM, I get it. All I'm saying is cut some slack for those who haven't lived enough life to know what it's all about. Consider that your Mom's in her eighties and while able to still cut the rug to a youngster she's an old lady. What you ascribe as 'already dead and useless' is your imposition on the situation.

And since when is a young inexperienced checkout girl the criteria by which you judge? So the kids are not acting the way you would – but give them time and they will.

Note to gym0 and diverse opinions: AngleMay is one of my favorites and, while we're poles away politically, I respect her because she's a nice person and know that if I get on her case she'll do exactly the same for me. If you haven't visited her board http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=24052187&bid=113658 do so. It is one of TMF's warm places.

MichaelR

Aw, come on. AM, I get it. All I'm saying is cut some slack for those who haven't lived enough life to know what it's all about. Consider that your Mom's in her eighties and while able to still cut the rug to a youngster she's an old lady. What you ascribe as 'already dead and useless' is your imposition on the situation.

And since when is a young inexperienced checkout girl the criteria by which you judge? So the kids are not acting the way you would – but give them time and they will.

Argh! Michael! The checker was not all that young. I never said she was a kid. But what you are saying is that she (whatever her age) should be cut some slack for being extremely rude to another human being based on nothing more than the person's age. This is absolutely no different that being rude to someone for some other thing that they cannot help -- like being Black, for instance. Being Black does not make one deaf, dumb, blind, or stupid. And neither does being old.

That's all I'm saying. And even saying that, I realize that Black people are at least noticed. My mother might just as well have been invisible. And that is very depressing to older people. They ARE people, too.

And thanks for the compliment. Appreciate it. :o)

AM
That's all I'm saying. And even saying that, I realize that Black people are at least noticed. My mother might just as well have been invisible. And that is very depressing to older people. They ARE people, too.

And thanks for the compliment. Appreciate it. :o)

AM

You're worth.

We could divide the world into those that notice and those who don't. Maybe maturity increases observation.

I was in a supermarket in Colorado and the checkout girl was black and had an incredible hairdo: cornrows and beads. Realize I am an old pasty-white guy. I said, “Your hair is beautiful, That's a lot of work. Did you do it yourself?” She said her Mom and her aunt did it, it took all of one afternoon. I said, because I didn't know, how many times a month do you do this?” And so it went. For a moment we were in a connection apart from the transaction of buyer and checkout.

Maybe what you're objecting to is that lack of communication that you and I have learned across the years.

MichaelR

"I'm thinking of heading for Canada."

Do it, AngelMay! But for a visit, of course. Try the wonderful capital of Ottawa in mid May for the tulip festival. Montreal has more restaurants than any other city in the world, reportedly, and is the world's second largest French speaking city. Plus, you can park free on the side streets just off midtown. Throw your canoe on the car, and portage through Algonquin Park, visit the Maritimes, watch whales in the St. Lawrence River, and drink truly proper tea.

I live stateside, but I LOVE our nearby neighbor (20 miles) to the north.

"I'm thinking of heading for Canada."

Do it, AngelMay! But for a visit, of course. Try the wonderful capital of Ottawa in mid May for the tulip festival. Montreal has more restaurants than any other city in the world, reportedly, and is the world's second largest French speaking city. Plus, you can park free on the side streets just off midtown. Throw your canoe on the car, and portage through Algonquin Park, visit the Maritimes, watch whales in the St. Lawrence River, and drink truly proper tea.

I live stateside, but I LOVE our nearby neighbor (20 miles) to the north.

Hmmmmmm..... does this mean you live in Washington State? Maybe we live close together and just don't know it. :o)

I was thinking of Britsh Columbia... Victoria and surrounds. Been there - have a Canadian friend there. Love her. Love the place. Somehow, Canada finds the funds to build actual PARKS designed for PEOPLE to stroll through, ride bikes, -- on REAL trails away from automobile traffic. And the parks are maintained and manicured to an aesthetically pleasing beauty.

Our own such parks mostly grow wild and are not really maintained -- other than the grooves worn into the dirt by passing people walking along.

Victoria has gorgeous hanging baskets of flowers in the summer. It's so PRETTY! And clean. And well-tended. And not only that, but there you can get HOT water for hot tea. Here in the states they bring you a luke-warm cup of water and a tea bag and expect you to be able to enjoy a cup of "hot" tea. It's enough to make anyone want to defect.

Due to taxes there, people (most people) probably don't live as well (have the net worth) as people in the States. But it appears to me that they are somehow happier -- and real poverty seems to be almost nil. Here, we have people living under bridges and in the streets and in cars.

There is something really wrong in the United States. Of course, I'm not going to say that I think things are perfect in Canada - but I do get the feeling that, overall, they are better for the population at large than they are for the population here.

I attribute this to greed on the part of the American people. Over the years they have been taught (by other greedy people) that taxation is theft rather than the dues you are expected to pay in order to provide, in part, a wonderful environment for all citizens of the country.

I've come to this realization after much reflection and late in life. But it's there. And it's undeniable.
So Trin,

Did yer father's Uncle Joe answer questions with a question? LOL

"How are you Joe?"

Joe: "And how should I be?"

lol

UncleGuido
Catskill Mountains Borsch Belt