No. of Recommendations: 0
People who want "stuff" NOW are described as "instant gratification type".

People who easily WAIT for "stuff" are described as "delayed gratification type".
I'm an instant gratification type person
I'm a delayed gratification type person
I don't know

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
For money, I have a long-term view.

For food (and health), I have a short-term view. Tasty and fattening food can be cheap. Exercise can be put off until tomorrow. :(
If I want something, I want it now. But, if I it's more prudent to wait for it, I will wait. That doesn't change my desire to have it now, though.
No. of Recommendations: 7
A common result from my delaying gratification is that I realize I really didn't want it after all.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I’m between. Depends what it is if I want to put off.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I really didn't want it after all.

Or did not need it after all.
My best friend from College, John, recently said to me "if not now, when?"

The reason being is because we are getting old!

If we put it off too much longer it will be too late. <grin>

Art
No. of Recommendations: 4
My father in law, now deceased, said to me one time "I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas!" <grin>

Art
I think that many of us on this board are (now) probably delayed gratification types.
Or we've at least learned to be, in order to remain Below our means.

For the most part, I think it is a learned behavior, or one that must be practiced to be appreciated.

One of my kids once told me It's not having, it's getting... when asking for something that I pointed out that he would lose before we got to the car.

peace & cooling off periods
t
My father in law, now deceased, said to me one time "I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas!" <grin>

That is too funny!
It has varied.

We have deferred gratification enough that we have a secure retirement. At least 10 years ago, I stopped buying any stuff that wasn't needed until I had control of what I owned. In that time there has been 3 deaths in my family. I am still struggling with getting control of stuff. 5 boxes were donated today. This month 28 boxes when to an low income in-law for her yard sale. The depressing part is that 1% to 2% of the excess stuff and none of it was stuff that we had bought.

Now we are spending on travel while I am still able to travel. In a couple of years travel will become very difficult for me.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I don't like the choice in the poll. There is no option for both. I buy some things right away and some things I delay in buying. Black and white choices - no gray.

PSU
At 6:19 CST, the poll is 17/20 self identify as "delayed gratification" type.

Like tconi, I suspect that LBYM types are also delayed gratification types.

Of course there are nuances, and not every "stuff" obtained is one or the other. I purposely limited the choices, though, cause I think most people know themselves enough to make the call?

I'm both LBYM and delayed gratification types.

We, here on LBYM and on many boards on TMF, often denigrate and deride others for their poor financial choices. I wonder if our POV is due to an inherent personality trait?

I watch a few of my friends and colleagues make financial choices that OBVIOUSLY have negative consequences. I would like to know why they make those choices. A couple of them are definitely "instant gratification" type.

Thanks for participating 🙂
ralph
"My best friend from College, John, recently said to me "if not now, when?" "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

whole lot of wisdom in those words !
"whole lot of wisdom in those words!" - vkg

There is a good chance 10 to 15 years from now I won't be here. I can hardly believe we've been living here for thirteen years now? The years have passed so quickly.

Art
"There is a good chance 10 to 15 years from now I won't be here. I can hardly believe we've been living here for thirteen years now? The years have passed so quickly.

Art "

We all are the lucky ones Art.

Howie52
One who enjoys reading your posts.
No. of Recommendations: 9
I delayed gratification long enough that I don't have to any more. My money guy says I won't run out of money in my life time. I have enough income from Social Security and Pensions to pay the regular bills. My RMDs cover other stuff I want to do or have.
WHERE is that doughnut I bought!?

Come to think of it, I seem to recall intercst remarking that he bought a generous supply of Safeway chocolate doughnuts when they were on sale!

Seattle Pioneer
Come to think of it, I seem to recall intercst remarking that he bought a generous supply of Safeway chocolate doughnuts when they were on sale!

</snip>

Absolutely!

Safeway also has a $5 Friday special, once a month for a tray of 9 cream puffs for $5. I bough two one month and froze one. No change in condition and quality after thawing, so I'm now buying two trays per month in addition to the chocolate donuts.

It's a good thing I walk 50 miles/week at a brisk pace - that's enough to burn off an extra 5,000 calories per week -- I'm still the same weight I was in college.

intercst
<<Come to think of it, I seem to recall intercst remarking that he bought a generous supply of Safeway chocolate doughnuts when they were on sale!

</snip>

Absolutely!

Safeway also has a $5 Friday special, once a month for a tray of 9 cream puffs for $5. I bough two one month and froze one. No change in condition and quality after thawing, so I'm now buying two trays per month in addition to the chocolate donuts.

It's a good thing I walk 50 miles/week at a brisk pace - that's enough to burn off an extra 5,000 calories per week -- I'm still the same weight I was in college.

intercst>>

This seems to contradict the theory advanced elsewhere that dental problems can be avoided with a diet that minimizes carbs, since intercst does fine with an annual dental cleaning schedule.

Seattle Pioneer
Hey, SP
- you have balloons!

peace & acknowledgments
t
"This seems to contradict the theory advanced elsewhere that dental problems can be avoided with a diet that minimizes carbs,

Seattle Pioneer "

keep in mind that TMF as a whole has difficulties counting to more than 10.

Happy anniversary - and for the sake of all the readers, many happy returns.
Delayed 100%. George Washington blinks to the bright light when I open my wallet because I rarely open it.
We have a local "bread outlet" that is well-stocked with all kinds of Arnold's and other good breads, bagels and more. Most is usually $1.69 or so, but on the last Friday of the month everything is 99 cents! We often buy extra bread, bagels and such then, and they keep in the extra 'frig downstairs until we need them.

$1.69 or 99 cents a loaf for $4.99 bread is a great deal.

Vermonter