Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Do you think that Joe Biden and the Democrats are responsible for the current spike in prices for fossil fuels? Please comment.
 18% (6 Votes)
YES. They are responsible.
 81% (26 Votes)
NO. The spike is here for other reasons (what reasons?)
 0% (0 Votes)
I wish Trump was still President. Wait....he IS!!!!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I created this poll because today a conservative friend of mine said that Biden is causing the spike in gasoline and home heating oil prices. He said that Trump did a good job on this issue, and if he didn't have such a big mouth, he'd still be President. He also said something about Biden shutting down the pipeline.

I don't know what Biden or the Dems did that could have driven prices up. Does anybody?
I don't know what Biden or the Dems did that could have driven prices up. Does anybody?

Me, me!! (hands raised and waving), I know, I know: being Biden and being Dems! That's all it takes.

Pete
The wholesale price of gasoline hit a high of 2.53/gal on October 26. Today, that price is 2.02. About a 20% drop.

So far, this drop in the wholesale price has not been reflected in the retail price.

Lots of money to be made on the spread.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Not Biden's fault.

The reasons gas prices are up:

- During the pandemic, demand fell drastically so oil co's reduced pumping oil and making gas.
Note that many other commodities also rose in price during the pandemic (some foods, lumber, appliances...)
SARS CoV-2 "FAULT"

- Halfway (or whatever it is-) through the pandemic, demand shot up. Oil co's are scrambling to increase supply--but not too much! They love these high prices and they higher stock prices that accompany it.
OIL INDUSTRY "FAULT"
As much as Bush was held responsible by the Left. so, YES - Democrats are at fault.

Not only that - but many Liberals want higher gas prices.

If I'm wrong, let's see how many Democrats here say "I want lower gas prices forever, not higher"
No. of Recommendations: 7
Oil companies took a beating when people stopped driving to work and there was a gasoline glut. Oil prices even went negative (https://www.marketwatch.com/story/oil-prices-went-negative-a...). Now that demand is higher, the oil companies want to recover their losses through higher prices.

Then there's this:

"Oil and gas prices have skyrocketed this year as energy demand rushes back — but U.S. producers aren’t activating their dormant rigs in droves."
https://www.axios.com/oil-gas-producers-still-holding-back-2...

Or this:

"Our Petroleum Supply Monthly trade data show that the United States exported more crude oil and petroleum products than it imported during the first half of 2021 by 120,000 barrels per day (b/d), or less than 1% of combined crude oil and petroleum product exports and imports. "
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=49596
No. of Recommendations: 11
Big Oil giving the shaft to ALL Americans... Nothing new here...

Time to accelerate our nations move away from fossil fuels and the abusive companies that live in that space.
Thank you all for the answers. I thought that it was mainly a result of the pandemic, but I forgot the GREED factor associated with that industry.
Time to accelerate our nations move away from fossil fuels

AYYYYYYY-MEN!!!! We've known for decades that we must transition from fossil fuels. It's taken way too long, but now rational people realize that we don't have a choice.

Unfortunately, the transition to alternative energy has a cost. When we pay it, some will rush to blame, say, Joe Biden. Meanwhile, as was pointed out, short-term price fluctuations are not really relevant, and not really under any president's control.

I wonder how long it will be until I'll be driving an electric car.
I wonder how long it will be until I'll be driving an electric car.

38 to 86 months.

Depends on your vehicle’s mission. How old your current vehicle is, and if the vehicle’s that full fill that mission are for sale at the time you need a new vehicle.

We should see price parity in 2025 with some EV’s. No subsidies. By 2028 Nissan plans to have its own Solid State battery in wide spread production with costs at the pack level of 75 dollars a kilowatt hour. Nissan claims this is price parity. However, we are approaching price parity in some sectors with Tesla now. Tesla is special in that much of the economics is in the design and fabrication of the auto itself.

There might be some lumpyness in consumer battery prices as I believe that grid storage will create a massive demand completely overwhelming supply at 100 dollars a kilowatt hour delivered. (Currently seeing quotes for solar plus storage at 850 a kilowatt hour.)

Cheers
Qazulight
No. of Recommendations: 3

That's standard Republican. Blame others without any clue as to what others have done or not done.
"I wonder how long it will be until I'll be driving an electric car."
------------------------------

Not for a while for me, but I am open minded about them. Do not see very many EV's up north,
and I imagine there are some reasons for that.

I know that ICE vehicles get worse mpg, and therefore have less range in the winter, but that
problem is easily solved by getting more gas. EV's have less range in the winter, but there are
significantly fewer options available to restore that range. Not worth the risk of running
out of power 10 miles from home on a dark, frigid night. But if I lived in the southwest, or
southeast, EV's seem liked they'd be practicable.

Causing the prices to rise and being responsible for high price rises are two slightly different things. You could conceivably argue that a President/governing party didn't create the instigating event that caused something to happen, but that they're responsible for not responding to it properly. Thus, for example, Democrats argue that Trump is responsible for a very large number of Covid deaths, even though he obviously didn't cause Covid to happen.

The general argument Republicans are making is that Democrats have generally created an environment where fossil fuel production and investments are highly disfavored. Thus, when a spike in prices happens due to exogenous factors, there isn't much excess capacity in the system to 'turn on' more fossil fuel production to bring the price down. Since the Democrats signal that one of their main policy goals is to strand fossil fuels in the ground and to thwart investment in fossil fuel infrastructure, that affects both the long- and short-term decision-making of energy companies in whether to develop oil and gas fields in the U.S. So when prices spike, those companies don't rush out to fire up more wells or get more rigs in the field as quickly or as voluminously as they would. After all, the Democrats came within a Joe Manchin of dramatically penalizing the use of natural gas in electricity generation through the CEPP in the BBB bill, and are pushing adoption of electric cars heavily - so it would be somewhat foolhardy for domestic energy companies to count on long-term trends in natural gas and oil demand to continue as they are. Arguably, this in turn encourages swing producers like OPEC and Russia to be more conservative in their production, because they know that rising prices will redound more to their benefit absent a rush of competition from American shale producers.

Of course, none of the above may be empirically true. Actual U.S. environmental policy towards oil and gas production hasn't really changed much at all in the last decade, and who knows to what degree Democrats' future intentions are actually affecting energy companies' decision-making. Still, the whole point of Green legislation is to make fossil fuels less economically desirable to produce, which makes this an easy target for the GOP.

Albaby
The general argument Republicans are making is that Democrats have generally created an environment where fossil fuel production and investments are highly disfavored. Thus, when a spike in prices happens due to exogenous factors, there isn't much excess capacity in the system to 'turn on' more fossil fuel production to bring the price down. Since the Democrats signal that one of their main policy goals is to strand fossil fuels in the ground and to thwart investment in fossil fuel infrastructure, that affects both the long- and short-term decision-making of energy companies in whether to develop oil and gas fields in the U.S. So when prices spike, those companies don't rush out to fire up more wells or get more rigs in the field as quickly or as voluminously as they would. After all, the Democrats came within a Joe Manchin of dramatically penalizing the use of natural gas in electricity generation through the CEPP in the BBB bill, and are pushing adoption of electric cars heavily - so it would be somewhat foolhardy for domestic energy companies to count on long-term trends in natural gas and oil demand to continue as they are. Arguably, this in turn encourages swing producers like OPEC and Russia to be more conservative in their production, because they know that rising prices will redound more to their benefit absent a rush of competition from American shale producers.

Of course, none of the above may be empirically true. Actual U.S. environmental policy towards oil and gas production hasn't really changed much at all in the last decade, and who knows to what degree Democrats' future intentions are actually affecting energy companies' decision-making. Still, the whole point of Green legislation is to make fossil fuels less economically desirable to produce, which makes this an easy target for the GOP.

This.

And my 2 cents--it takes time before oil companies increase capacity no matter what the macro situation might be. The ramp-up just takes money, personnel and hardware--there isn't just some valve somewhere they need to open. They need to rent a rig, hire a crew, and evaluate whether it is worth spending the millions to increase production. Because of the significant investment, they want to be confident that the high prices will persist--they don't want to bring on new capacity only to get to market when oil is back to $35/bbl. Right now, if I were an oil company exec, I'd be looking at the lockdowns in Europe and new variant and new travel restrictions and seriously considering whether or not the demand situation was stable before spending millions.

Finally, we've seen this movie before. People blamed Bush in 2006 for high prices--even though his admin was as oil-friendly as possible. Then they blamed Obama when oil prices rebounded after the financial crash. Now they blame Biden. There isn't much a President can do to control oil prices in the short term.
What’s truly amazing is how Biden not only made prices rise in America but in other countries too. How’d he do that? Democrats so mysteriously powerful.

I can be smug now about how DH and I both drive hybrids. 8D
There is no spike.
Yes, Democrats are party responsible and THAT IS A GOOD THING. We're succeeding!

The country is recovering from the pandemic which was made much worse by REPUBLICANS. Reopening means soaring demand for products that must be shipped using fossil fuels. More people are working as job growth soars and unemployment plunges. More workers are commuting to work and more people are traveling for work, school, and pleasure. All of that increase in demand causes prices to rise.

Why must Democrats always be on the defensive?
"I don't know what Biden or the Dems did that could have driven prices up. Does anybody?"

That's standard Republican. Blame others without any clue as to what others have done or not done.

It is downright trumpian logic.
Bottom line: There isn't much a President can do to control oil prices in the short term.

Thank you all for your ideas.