Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm curious if people use CD ladders for some of their funds.
Yes, but no more than 12 months of living expenses
Yes, but no more than 7 years of living expenses
No, US Treasuries.
No , prefer things like CEF preferreds and WFC.L and 100% stocks
Other

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Other - I have used them for family money

I compare UST vs. CDs of same duration
but I also look at corporate bonds for short-durations (BBB rated and above, and only in companies where I can do a rudimentary credit analysis myself)
and there is one CEF preferred with a set maturity, so it is like a bond equivalent (GDL-C)

CEF Preferreds and esp bank preferred are entirely different class
CEFs P are cumulative, bank ones generally non-cumulative
in theory, you better do credit analysis on any bank preferred (less important for CEF P and this could be a discussion nobody cares about - I have talked extensively about this in my reports if that matters)
plus, both have almost unlimited durations unless certain conditions are met (WFC-l is actually a convertible); in theory, these would have unlimited exposure to rising rates

It also depends on where I think rates are headed...I also use a high yield savings account which tends to be 0.1% less than short-term treasuries

I do think it is important to pay attention to these things - getting an extra 0.1% and 0.2% or whatever is important if it doesn't take that much more work
fwiw, more on wfc-l

Preferreds are vulnerable if rates rise, since they have no maturity dates. “Preferreds are usually issued at $25 and callable in five years. The risk/reward isn’t skewed in favor of the investor,” says King, who also co-manages the Columbia Flexible Incomefund (CFIAX).
He favors two unusual preferred issues from Bank of America (BAC) and Wells Fargo that technically are convertibles, but amount to regular or “straight” preferreds, because the conversion prices are far above the current common equity prices.
The Bank of America Series L issue has a 7.25% dividend rate, $1,000 par value, and recent price of $1,100 for a current yield of 6.64%. Bank of America can redeem the issue only if its share price, now $17, hits $65. In that scenario, investors would be paid a premium above the current share price. The Wells Fargo 7.5% issue has a similar structure, with a $1,000 par value, price of $1,155, and yield of 6.5%. Wells Fargo can call the issue if its stock, now about $55, hits $203. “If you’re going to play bank preferred, this is the way to do it,” King says. “They’re misunderstood.” The Wells Fargo 7.5% issue yields a percentage point more than the bank’s regular preferred.

--
note that these issues have risen substantially from when this was written
I owned WFC.L and got out at $1300. I focus more on REIT preferred's but they are ill-liquid and difficult to sell beyond 1000 to 2000 shares without impacting price.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've owned the WFCs for many years not that anyone cares. Sold the BACs a while ago.