Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Montgomery County (Bethesda/Rockville/Germantown)
Baltimore County (Baltimore/Towson/White Marsh)
Anne Arundel County (Annapolis/Other)
Howard County (Columbia/Other)
Other

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Really, any of this stuff would be acceptable. Draw a triangle with corners at Annapolis & Baltimore/Columbia & Bethesda/Rockville, and I would consider the whole triangle to be within my regular stomping grounds.

o Laurel's right in the middle of that triangle. There's a Green Turtle in Laurel, and a Red Hot & Blue; probably some other stuff.

o White Flint Mall, between Bethesda and Rockville, has a Dave & Busters. Perfect for a large group: you can sit and chat, or go play games, as suits you.

o Arundel Mills Mall (between Columbia and Annapolis) has a Jillians, same thing as Dave & Busters.

And as Scott points out, there's a Northern Va contingent. NoVa is pretty close to Bethesda. Those guys used to do regular happy hours, don't know if they still do.
And as Scott points out, there's a Northern Va contingent. NoVa is pretty close to Bethesda. Those guys used to do regular happy hours, don't know if they still do.

Since Julie the Cruise Director has been on the wagon, and CD is in the desert, things have been, ahem, dry in NoVA. Perhaps a centrally located area (Columbia) could be doable? or wait a month or 2 for beer&crabs in Annapolis again.

WF *suggestin'
there's a Northern Va contingent. NoVa is pretty close to Bethesda. Those guys used to do regular happy hours, don't know if they still do.

Haven't even heard a whisper in ages. Been wondering, though.

~~ Alison

If so, they're happening without telling me. Not like that's unlikely, of course.

I guess I've been hiding lately, just haven't had a lot to say.

-Scott
No. of Recommendations: 1
---
If so, they're happening without telling me. Not like that's unlikely, of course.

I think for the time being, they've gone by the wayside. There seems to be a lack of interest in organizing and other folks have conflicting schedules.

Go figure, one of the items on the pro side of my list to move up this way was, "I get to see my friends more often," and I've seen you all a lot less in the last 6-7 months than when I lived 2 1/2 hours away.

=(

Plaidy
for the time being, they've gone by the wayside. There seems to be a lack of interest in organizing and other folks have conflicting schedules

Maybe it's just winter doldrums? If so, I hope we all snap out of them.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the "Fool Meetup" thingy. It looks like there are 30 DC members, 10 of whom are active, 14 NoVA with 8 active, and 8 in Montgomery County with 3 active. And "active" seems to be a relative term -- votes on venue: DC - 4, NoVA - 1, Montgomery Co. - 0.

I've already got two other commitments next Thursday.

~~ Alison

Just out of curiosity, I checked the "Fool Meetup" thingy.

What is the "Fool Meetup" thingy?

pez
*oblivious as always
There's a Green Turtle in Laurel

This made me smile...

One of my friends started a tradition a few years ago of doing a "Redneck Bar Tour" of PG county for her birthday.

The first stop is the Green Turtle, and then everyone heads down route one - hitting Lasicks, Town Hall Liquors, Willie K's, TJ's Steakhouse and other shady establishments.

I guess it was not too much of a tradition, though, since this year she's celebrating at some random bar in Baltimore.

*shrug*

pez
What is the "Fool Meetup" thingy?

Some time ago, the Fool hooked up with some "meetup.com" organization to enable Fools to get together to "Meetup with other Fools to discuss investing, money management, and the always educating, enriching and amusing Fool" but I don't know how well or how often it worked. I know there was at least one such gathering in MA/CT when it first started up, but some of the Fools would have met each other anyway, and in fact, may already have done so.

~~ Alison
Hmm, after looking at the Fool page at meetup.com, I am not impressed. I found it hard to navigate through the pages, but then again, I'm not too swift ;)

If people are really interested in a Fool "Happy Hour" or "Meetup" or whatever, I would be happy to make the arrangements. So far, the the Green Turtle in Laurel has been suggested - are there any other suggestions?

pez
No. of Recommendations: 2
So far, the the Green Turtle in Laurel has been suggested - are there any other suggestions?

Montgomery County is smoke-free these days, and Bethesda's Metro-accessible. Not sure if these are pluses or minuses, depends on who'd be in attendance.

-Scott
Not sure if these are pluses or minuses, depends on who'd be in attendance.

That'd be a lot easier for any in the NoVA contingent (okay, me) than Laurel. Smoke-free is always my preference, and Metro-accessible helps too.

'course, the 4 P's in Falls Church was even closer.

~~ Alison
Since Julie the Cruise Director has been on the wagon, and CD is in the desert, things have been, ahem, dry in NoVA.

Julie is not on the wagon. And I stopped planning the events because no one was showing.

Julie ~ stop mixing your profiles
Julie is not on the wagon.

It's Julie! It's Julie! Hi, Julie!

~~ Alison
Is the the Maryland Board or the Northern VA board?

David
Is the the Maryland Board or the Northern VA board?

Or maybe one of the 3 "Folly in the DC-Metro Area" boards?

~~ Alison
Since Julie the Cruise Director has been on the wagon, and CD is in the desert, things have been, ahem, dry in NoVA.

You know, WF, it's good to be missed. However, drinking should not subside just because I'm not around. In fact, you should all be drinking more just to make up for my absence.

Now you have your orders, so get your butts in gear and get sloshed together more often.

Seriously, though, I have been a bit disappointed at how unsocial some of the old socialites have let themselves become. It's a shame, really, because there are a lot of good TMF-hanger-outers in the DC Metro area and the few bumps and times of slight discord have seemed to have a fairly serious adverse affect on many of them wanting to spend time around eachother. I was honestly hoping that a side effect of my leaving the area would be to remove myself and my too-oft obnoxiousness from the scene and open the door for a span across some of those rifts to happen with a simpler and less confrontational (can't deny my style, you know) fashion.

There's still hope for a good meld by the time I visit again. I haven't given up hope yet.

cd

P.S. I see that friendlygirl is posting here. If you read this, hiya! Sorry for droppping off the face of the earth and all, but I kinda dropped off the face of the earth. ;)
I hope you're doing well and I hope you make it down to a gathering (assuming they have one) next time you're in MD!
I see that friendlygirl is posting here. If you read this, hiya! Sorry for droppping off the face of the earth and all, but I kinda dropped off the face of the earth. ;)
I hope you're doing well and I hope you make it down to a gathering (assuming they have one) next time you're in MD!

What a disappointment that you've moved. I started this whole discussion because I just moved back to the area. And I thought that I could finally be more than just a recipient of slightly drunk phone messages. Darn it! My timing is terrible. ;-)

I see that friendlygirl is posting here.
-----------------------------------------------
I started this whole discussion because I just moved back to the area.

Whew -- I'm glad you're back on this board. I thought I'd scared you off by sending that email.
;-)

Jim

Julie is not on the wagon. And I stopped planning the events because no one was showing.

Lauren daaaahling, I thought I read in the rags that you were in rehab, no?

Confused
What a disappointment that you've moved. I started this whole discussion because I just moved back to the area. And I thought that I could finally be more than just a recipient of slightly drunk phone messages. Darn it! My timing is terrible.

It's bad timing, and me
we find a lot of things out this way
and there's you
a little black cloud in a dress
the temptations
to take the precious things we have apart
to see how they work
must be resisted
for they never fit together again

No worries, we'll meet next time I'm in town if you stay around long enough. I'll make sure there's plenty of warning (for evacuations, as necessary)...

cd
No worries, we'll meet next time I'm in town if you stay around long enough. I'll make sure there's plenty of warning (for evacuations, as necessary)...

cd

CD's comin' better hide your heart girl, cd's comin' better hide your heart girl...

WF *strange lyrics just appear at times*