Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
It is probably obvious to everyone, except people who only follow Berkshire, that most public boards on the Motley Fool are dying, for whatever reason. Where will Berkshire junkies go, if there is nothing new on the Fool Berkshire board for days at a time, which seems to be the general tendency?
Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax
Yahoo boards
Somewhere else: (please reply to the poll with your idea)
Nowhere else, time to kick the habit anyways

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Subject to many many caveats - I would not mind hosting a phpBB board on narensworld.com.
No. of Recommendations: 8
I used to frequent the Yahoo board years ago, but it became a total circus. On Yahoo, there used to be a poster that went by the name of 'Russ' who posted some really good information. Sadly, he quit posting .... assumingly because of the increased nonsense that started to dominate the board.

Bluntly stated, don't waste your time going to the Yahoo board.

jg
Are you aware that MF closed down all the UK discussion boards?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Investors Village
No. of Recommendations: 0
> Are you aware that MF closed down all the UK discussion boards?

It's true that the UK Motley Fool boards closed but they were replaced by the community with a new site called Lemon Fools. I suppose that might happen if Motley Fool USA closed the boards

But I do really like Corner of Berkshire and would really hope that it would be used as it seems to be well moderated with intelligent comments.
No. of Recommendations: 11
I love Investor Village and have been using it for years. I set it as my home page because at the top of the page, one can place all of the links one uses for quick access (such as any TMF board). It has a lot of nice features. It's free, has lots of features or there is a pay version. IV management is very responsive to its members, there is no spam and hecklers are removed.

https://www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=4248

https://www.investorvillage.com/helpcenter.asp
(search "add a link")
No. of Recommendations: 46
I will go anywhere that mungo goes...

tecmo
I will go anywhere that mungo goes...

He will probably not go anywhere.

If you lived in Monaco and had a place in Menton, why go anywhere?
No. of Recommendations: 3
Not the Yahoo boards, I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a fork.
I love Investor Village ... It's free,

How do you register without choosing a payment plan?
No. of Recommendations: 7
It has a lot of nice features. It's free, has lots of features or there is a pay version. IV management is very responsive to its members, there is no spam and hecklers are removed.

https://www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=4248

Am I reading this wrong, or were there 6 posts in April, 1 in May, 1 in June, and 1 in July? (None in August so far...)?? It may have some great features, but it doesn't seem like 'bustling' is one of them. It's like the Cheese Shop in Monty Python:

C: It's not much of a cheese shop, is it?

O: Finest in the district sir!

C: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.

O: Well, it's so clean, sir!

C: It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese.

dtb
No. of Recommendations: 6
This board won't die as long as the MF continues to host it and as long as high quality posts continue to be produced.

A little early to discuss its demise, I think.

Rob
LOL! I don't use the IV BRK board, I use several others but use the link s it provides to get to several TMF sites. Any site actually. I mentioned it as a back-up site/board in case this one disappears. I read TMF sites several time each day Primarily I enjoy IV's features. Hey,with a name like IV, it seems appropriate for BRK value investors :) Check out the BAK board etc.

knighttof3:
IV's sign up format has changed. I started as a free member several years ago and converted to a paying member to help support a site I thought offered a lot of value and was responsive to, among other things, changes members request. I have no interest in IV other than as a satisfied user. I have 32 links listed at the top of my page that I frequently use. Very desirable, useful and a time-saving feature. It's possible that if one signs up for the free trial, it will convert to a free membership. I will ask the owner (named Blue) if you or others are interested.

tairbear
bernard
14 days ago
" I shorted APPL @ 92 ," thanks, old bud.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BRK-B/community/

Not interested in bernard's opinion?

20,000 posts 2000. 10,000 posts 2007. 6000 posts last twelve months. Seems like plenty.

I sure don't think much is missed from the glory days and posts from people saying 85% of their portfolio was Celera and he was looking to boost that.

And the post from 2000 on super cat. How many ways and times to discuss that. None of the names recognizable or still posting btw. People come and go, for better or worse.
No. of Recommendations: 54
"This board won't die as long as the MF continues to host it and as long as high quality posts continue to be produced."

Agreed.

What I find odd about the complaints about the OT threads on other companies is that those threads contained some of the highest quality posts on this board during that time period. Even if a person wasn't interested in those companies, there was tons of information in those threads that would help readers become better investors in general.

Other than quarterly IV updates and acquisition discussions, it is hard to make a quality post on Berkshire here right now. The basics of what drives the company earnings is pretty well known (at least on this board) and any changes in any of the subsidiaries are usually too small to move the needle.

What more can really be said about float (low cost, uncallable leverage), buying at reasonable prices, and long term compounding that hasn't already been said at least 5 times on this board already?
This board won't die as long as you welcome new members, especially those who bring fresh and news ideas. Echo champers die eventually.

Rhetoric aside... these boards are means for Fool.com to get new members. May be they have gained critical mass and may not want to deal with the hassles of free public boards.

At some point, everything comes to an end... but the million, perhaps billion dollar question is whether fool.com will close the boards first or Berkshire will pay a dividend. If I only can short that... :)
didn't know investor village was free - looks like you pay per month or per year.
It was free when I joined several years ago. I sent an email to management to see if it's changed or how to get in for free. They're in Marrero, LA so they may be experiencing Harvey.

From their website:

"To aid online investor research and communication, InvestorVillage offers a range of free and premium site tools and features, including favorite member management, private messaging, and multi-message viewing. By delivering unparalleled customer service and acting with honesty and integrity, we believe we truly can be a force for good in the investment world."
No. of Recommendations: 6
The founder of Investor Village (Blue) answered my email (a very nice man). Free memberships were curtailed due to spambots etc. but can still be obtained via referral. For those interested, PM me here and I will refer you if you aren't a spammer and I recognize you. Please forgive me if I don't get back to you right away (I will try), I'm stage 4 recurrent cancer and sometimes I get a little bit busy :)

IV is in LA but, according to Blue their servers aren't so they're pretty safe and the storm isn't bad where they are

I read several TMF boards every day, and this is a convenient way to access any favorite boards or sites you might have here or anywhere. A great time-saver. I'm not a computer geek, so there might be other ways to accomplish the same goal. But who can beat free :) BTW, TMF still has the best BRK et al message boards on the internet I've found thus far and I really hope they don't cease, but just in case....

Regards,
tairbear00
TESTING :)
No. of Recommendations: 7
Sorry, I was testing to see which email I registered for TMF because I'm so old, decrepit and stupid I don't know how else to do it or how to change it :) Thank you all for your responses. I will forward them en masse to IV for free memberships at later tomorrow.

I love the comments on the Buffett interview. Thanks! I still haven't seen the whole thing but I thought Warren looked very good and was VERY sharp as usual. For the record, I watch both CNBC and Fox Business News. FWIW, my younger wife and two daughters (in their early 30's) are highly educated, successful, black American Christians (I'm none of the aforementioned), prefer Fox for some reason. I follow Warren