Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I preordered and got it without a hitch.
I preordered and got it only after unreasonable hassle.
I preordered and still don't have it!
I didn't preorder but got one anyway (w/o using Unforgivable Curses).
I've got a preorder in my robes.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't know if what I did qualifies as preordering. I went into my favorite bookstore and paid for it the day before it came out, since I was already buying several other books. The next day I walked in, the owner handed it to me, I said thanks and walked out.

Uhura :o)
Sunday, B&N had big signs up that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was only available for customers who had pre-ordered. No big deal, I can be patient. Later that day, I was at Sam's Club and picked up a copy off a huge stack. Selling price + 8.25% sales tax was a little less than Amazon.com was asking.

Patzer
who never mastered the biblius preorderus charm.
I pre-ordered at B&N and then when I realized I was going to be on the road, pre-ordered at a B&N where I was going to be travelling to.

Turns out it was all for nothing, they had plenty of books and you got the same price even if you didn't pre-order.

Wonder why it is taking her so long to get the sixth book out?
Sunday, B&N had big signs up that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was only available for customers who had pre-ordered.

That B&N seems to be more rational than the B&N I went to or any of the other booksellers I tried. None of them had HP V out in sight, all had signs touting HP V, and none of them had signs giving useful information. Why not have a sign up saying "Sorry, we have no unreserved copies of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at this time. We expect to get more in on <date>."?

But that would make too much sense, I suppose. And violate the management principle that you should always treat your customers like mushrooms.

-CB
According to a story in today's SF Chron it took 5 months of planning to get all of those copies of HP5 to arrive on Saturday:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/06/25/BU252030.DTL&type=business

As if by magic, more than 400,000 families across the country opened their front doors Saturday to find a neatly packaged "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" book on their doorsteps.

Worked for us. Only Amazon did not use a plain brown box - they had a specially printed box. It was a bit weird but if you are going to sell books by hyping them to death you might as well go all they way, eh?

P
who read HP1 and had her fill but respects the HP passion of others :-)
Ok, I just found a copy at my supermarket, of all places.

-CB