Read in Bed until sleepy book: _The Light Fantastic_ by Terry Pratchett

Baen CD-ROM book: _Destiny's Shield_ by David Drake and Eric Flint

-CB

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
1- OK

Cut me some slack, I'm in grad school.

Currently reading:

When Jesus Became God: The Epic Fight over Christ's Divinity in the Last Days of Rome by Richard Rubenstein

An entertaining account of the Arian controversy by a professor who specializes in conflict resolution.

Just finished The Mummy Congress by Heather Pringle, about mummies and the researchers who love them. I don't know why I bought this book -- it has oogie pictures in it -- but I really enjoyed it, learned some interesting stuff, and highly recommend it to those with an interest in anthropology.

LCK
How many books are you currently actively reading?

Does it count if you have a huge pile of books next to your bed that you mean to read, but aren't currently (actively) reading?
Does it count if you have a huge pile of books next to your bed that you mean to read, but aren't currently (actively) reading?

Only if you've started them and actually get back to reading each of them at least once a month.
Only if you've started them and actually get back to reading each of them at least once a month.

Then I feel the rules are being changed. Under getting to them in a week I have to go with: The Dragon Waiting; Book of Shadows, by J. Reese; The Complete Jack the Ripper Comapanion; Letters From Kansas; Becoming a Man, Monette; Temple of The Winds, Goodkind. At least two are slated to wrap up this weekend. The book about leather apron, is non fiction and though facinating very technical and slow going, it will be there for a while, perhaps as long as a month. However the "unread, I want your attention" stack is there and ready to be delved into. I tend to view, the "what are you reading now" question as what will you finish reading in the next 2-3 days.

Rav
I tend to view, the "what are you reading now" question as what will you finish reading in the next 2-3 days.

Whatever you want it to mean is fine. To me, reading now, is something I have begun and am acitvely working towards finishing. Some of those may take a day to finish others may take a month or two. Still I am actively involved with that book. But heck, it's just a meaningless web poll meant to stimulate some conversation so let it mean whatever you want it to mean, but I can't see stretching the definition to include books you haven't even begun reading no matter how much you intend to read them.

No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings

1)The book in the car: 13th yearly anthology of Best SF short stories
Dozois editor (halfway through)

2) Pocket book in coat pocket: The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
(quarter way through)

3) Book in living room, read while waiting for daughter to go to sleep:
Invasion 1940, what If Hitler had invaded England - Macksey
(nearly finished)

4 )Book in briefcase for reading while commuting to Work: Jesus A life by A.N. Wilson
(halfway through)

5) Book on nighttable: Rabbi Jesus by Bruce Chilton
(just started)

Books recently completed: When Jesus became God - Rubenstein
Jesus, A historical view - E.P. Sanders

Books warming up in the bullpen: The Tomb of God
Blood and Iron - H Turtledove
Starman - Sara Douglas

Cheers,

so many books,... so little time
No. of Recommendations: 1
But heck, it's just a meaningless web poll meant to stimulate some conversation so let it mean whatever you want it to mean

You mean we're not being graded?

LCK
But heck, it's just a meaningless web poll meant to stimulate some conversation so let it mean whatever you want it to mean, but I can't see stretching the definition to include books you haven't even begun reading no matter how much you intend to read them.

Grins and agrees to disagree. It's not meaningless, it's intended to spark conversation. I think the mission may have been accomplished. A book I'm "reading" has a book mark in it. I don't differenticate about where I read it, cuz I read all books equally. I don't drive, so I spend a good hour to hour and a half on PT each day, reading. I smoke and take a book with me when I go for a break. Might only be a page or two, but it works with a book mark. Lunch, I seldom eat but always read. On an average day of fiction that doesn't require too much thought maybe 250 pages. If I have to think less. Jack the Ripper requires thought, Dragon Waiting doesn't. Body and Soul somewhere in between.

You're right though, I'm curious about the division of thought, complexity of books, when where, how many, and in expanding conversation.

Rav

I haven't asked this in awhile. How many books are you currently actively reading?

Playing God - Sci Fi. Carry-around book. It's ok, but not great.

The future of timespace - Various essays on cutting edge physics. Love this stuff, some day I might even understand the math.

The skeleton dance - Mystery. Pretty standard, but I find I like the writers style.

On deck: The electric meme and The Songcatcher.

l1soul
Lunch, I seldom eat but always read.

I haven't eaten lunch since 4th grade. The only times that I have not read at lunch were when I had to do homework. I haven't been in the school cafeteria in about a month. 'Nuff said.