A spreadsheet or other software
No software, I use pen and paper
I don't track my finances

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
7% (1 Vote)
No software, I use pen and paper

I see that I am a fairly lonely Neanderthal around here...

--Boffo the Neo-Luddite
No. of Recommendations: 0
We actually do two of these options (Quicken and Pen and Paper). I keep the records on Quicken, my husband does a paper and pen version as he is learning about finances and he is now grasping it better with the pen and paper than he was when he was just helping me with the Quicken.
Boffo
Not really, I voted that I also use pen and paper.
Walter
If you're on Mac you don't have a choice. It's Quicken, Quicken or Quicken.

I've used Quicken for years and I find it indispensible, BUT I am furious with Intuit for stripping several features out of the Mac version in recent releases - like the Debt Reduction Planner - and forcing you to go to their website instead. The Mac version of quicken also lacks some features, like Savings Goals, that the Windows version has.

I've been curious about trying MS Money, but I don't have the option unless I buy that Windows laptop I've been contemplating...

EditorialWe
No. of Recommendations: 1
2% (1 Vote)

**SHOCK** Grasping for the right words...

How can that possibly be?

Kim
Staring at her finance software since 1902
I use Quicken and Excel. I keep track of my bank accounts, credit card accounts, investment accounts, etc with Quicken, but I don't like its budget feature so I also keep a spreadsheet. In the spreadsheet I list my expense categories and as I get paid, I allocate more to the various categories and keep track of the expenses for those accounts on a daily basis. It's kind of redundant, but I like both methods and have been doing it for over 5 years that I just can't stop. I've heard that Money has a better budget feature, but I haven't looked at it yet.

Tony
Well, let's just get a vote of who uses one or the other to see what happens. So, which finance software do you use most often?

I use Money for personal accounts, Quickbooks pro for a business and excel for my payoff plan.

I use Quickbooks for business.
I've tried both, originally starting with Quicken, but I never warmed up to it. So I'm a huge fan of Money because I only started on the road to Fooldom once I bought Money2000 and truly organized my finances for the first time in my life. I loved the sense that I got from the Debt Reduction Planner that it was actually possible to pay off my credit cards and get out from under that pile of.....stuff.
2% (1 Vote)

**SHOCK** Grasping for the right words...

How can that possibly be?

I don't track my finances, either. (I am the second one that cast my vote that way, and I don't even live in Florida! Oh wait! Yes, I had intended to vote for ... "I don't track my finances".)

I don't budget, I don't keep monthly net worth numbers, so I thought I really did not fall into the MS Money, Quicket, spreadsheet, or pencil and paper categories.

On the other hand, I do keep an eye on my finances. I know how I am doing for the month by driving most of my finances through the check register and, the rare credit charge slip (or my handwritten proxy) is kept in an envelope next to the check register. My short term savings/emergency fund/personal escrow savings, long-term investments, and retirement account investments are all on autopilot (payroll deduction or automatic direct debit). I can check all these accounts through the web at just about any time I want.

I did make a Net Worth statement for May 1999 and another for December 2000 using the Table feature of WordPerfect to do the math for me, and my investment advisor advised that I repeat that exercise about the same time every year (e.g., December). But on the two Net Worth statements I had done, I am moving in the correct direction. 8)

So even though I don't budget and I don't track my expenses in any formal way, I do keep an eye on my financial situation.
I was a Quicken user (the old DOS version).. and then I bought a new PC which had, what else .. MS Money... so now I've become a Money user. I guess I gave in Mr. Gates & Co.

AleNat