No. of Recommendations: 0
just thought it would make an interesting poll, esp since these things are always deeply personal

my top 5:
1 - ST DS9
2 - ST OS
3 - ST NG (seasons 3 to 6 and finale)
4 - Stargate Original (I LOVED Jack O'Neil)
5 - BattleStar G new version (only been thru it once)

Special Mention - Heads up to the Russell Davies years w/Doctor Who before Moffat drove me away
Also liked TZ original, Outer Limits original (yeah, I loved it), and new Outer Limits
Star Trek OS
ST Other Series (name and why?)
Stargate Original or Atlantis
BattleStar Galactica
Something else? Please share

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
quick guide to what I've seen - again, meant to generate your trips thru memory lane; feedback requested

ST OS - really was amazing and scripts are incredible considering time pressures involved
ST NG - first two years virtually unwatchable but finally hit the stride
ST DS9 - moving hard by year 2, just loved these characters
ST Voyager - good stuff here and there, but got tiresome
ST Enterprise - thought it was a complete bust w/Space Nazi's before some good ones in S4 but too little too late
ST Discovery - not ST; you can like it as long as you remember that, with great special effects but characters are not equipped with any brains

Babylon 5 - wish they had more money for it
Battlestar G - original a kiddie show; a miracle the new version was as insanely involving as it was, but it was very depressing throughout
Lost - pure candy, and insanely watchable
Logan's Run - short-run series and typical 70s TV
Planet of Apes - better than I remembered with overacting but some solid scripts
Continuum - I could only take 2 of 4 years
Outer Limits Original - it was amazing, incredible first time out
Twilight Zone - multiple versions - the 80s version is pretty solid though they can't make it blu-ray quality
Outer Limits New - better than you think, with some solid episodes that I really liked
Ray Bradbury Theater - almost unwatchable, they have almost no budget
Doctor Who - personal choice as to what you want to see - loved David Tennant, HATED the newest ones
Space 1999 - man, did i love those Eagle ships, but it truly sucks to a degree that gives sucking a bad name - best part was waiting for 'Computer'
Lost in Space - early one was a kiddie show about a family, newer one is a kiddie show with absolutely miserable people and the main message that 'marriage is fake' by deeply unhappy showrunners and script writers
Orville - I can't watch it - too painful
Firefly - had a lot of potential and too short a run but worth seeing and worthy of the acclaim it got
Farscape - A lot of A+++ episodes and a parade of F-- ones too, could be infuriating at times but one of the few science-fiction series I've ever seen with fully realized BIZARRE aliens
Buck Rogers - hey, if you like Mel Blanc....
Andromeda - one of the weird shows where it goes from solid to bad over 5 years
Sliders - similar to above, was interesting for a while but fell apart over time
Black Mirror and anything on Netflix - can't watch with kids; nudity for nudity sake and language for language sake
Lexx - a friend told me this was his favorite sci-fi of all time but no idea why cause....gives science-fiction a bad name IMO
Land of the Lost - kiddie show but I loved it as a kid
Stargate - 10 years of jolly good fun - be sure to see the movies! Even was good in Seasons 9 and 10
Stargate Atlantis - to bad it only lasted 5 years but the villains were creepy and I just didn't like them
Stargate Universe - they emote - A LOT
Eureka - a guilty pleasure but they lost a lot of the threads and eventually there was an episode which was a glorified car commerical
Expanse - I stopped watching middle of season 2

help from this which is perhaps overly influenced by people under 20
http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-sci-fi-tv-sho...
Don't know what my favorite is but no list should be complete without Farscape and Firefly. Expanse might be working its way up the list.

I am a little partial to Voyager too.

Note your poll states SG original for #4 but the poll results state SG or Atlantis. Those that really disliked Atlantis might not want to have their response sneakily include Atlantis (I personally liked both).

I also assume your poll only includes space-based sci-fi. Otherwise, no "best" poll is complete without the X-Files.

Hawkwin
Who needs to make a point to introduce his son to BSG.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Oh, and how can we forget The Walking Dead?
Twilight Zone is my all time favorite. Even now, the musical score can give me chills! As a kid, I LOVED watching it!

Like Hawkwin, I immediately thought of X-files.

I was captivated by all of the ST series, and when a new series concept was announced, I ANTICIPATED it's debut.

Stargate- loved it, but missed most episodes due to work and education choices.

My list is limited to what was available on over the air TV. No cable stuff. (I'm just too LBYM 😶 which can be a hindrance at times?)

🙂
ralph
Since what I hear when that question is asked (even just "TV show" without the "sci-fi" qualifier) is "So after Firefly, what's your #2 favorite?" I answered BSG, but that's probably very heavily biased towards the fact that I hadn't watched much of the others.
- ST OG: I've seen bunches of them, but was never "gotta watch 'em all, and in order!" so I'm pretty sure I've only seen somewhere between 40-60% of them.
- ST Other: never got into any other ST series.
SG-1 or Atlantis: somehow missed it back in the day, but I've been watching the original in order over the past few months, I'm on S4 Ep4 at the moment. It all started when I checked out Jewel Staite's debut on SG Atlantis, and realized I liked it enough to want to know what came before, so I started at the beginning.
BSG: consumed it voraciously as it aired and enjoyed it all the way through, even when it got kinda hinky

Others not in the poll:
Farscape: binged that on Netflix a few years ago, enjoyed it
Babylon 5: never watched it but have heard enough about it to realize I probably need to check it out
Expanse: been watching it from the start, knew nothing about it going in and with Thomas Jane's character so central I thought it was going to be more a sci-fi noir gumshoe-type thing (which I wanted to be the case), but the characters got me invested enough to stick around
Continuum: watched it all but the convolution of the time travel stuff started making it too weird towards the end

JT,
just watched 2 random eps of Firefly last night with my son, as it happens
Don't know what my favorite is but no list should be complete without Farscape and Firefly. Expanse might be working its way up the list.

I haven't seen Farscape, but Firefly is awesome.

The Expanse is one of my favorite shows, period. I haven't read the books, but will start them soon. Once I started watching the series, I decided to wait until a couple of seasons of the show aired before starting the books, so I could get the expanded info you get in books, without it influencing my tv viewing. Of course if the books are as good or better, which I expect them to be, I'll blow through them well before the series ends.

Donna
No. of Recommendations: 1
Farscape and Firefly
I watched a few episodes of Farscape yesterday on the plane. Does it get better? So far, I'm a "meh?"

Simon
I watched a few episodes of Farscape yesterday on the plane. Does it get better? So far, I'm a "meh?"

I watched the whole series over time (streaming w/out binging) and enjoyed it. For me, it was somewhere between: a) enjoyable enough that I never regretted starting it nor drifted away for long stretches, and b) really really good to where I'd probably watch it again someday. If you're going in with the right expectations, that will help you find the sweet spot. There's not a little bit of Muppet-type antics (Jim Henson did the alien puppet effects, after all), but in the milieu of a semi-serious sci-fi story, so if you can take those antics as they're intended without letting them be off-putting, you're in good shape. It's very character- and relationship-driven (I think Tor.com recently did a pretty good write-up on that angle) - much of which you haven't really gotten into if you're only a few eps in - the sheer variety of the alien races and encounters they have tend to keep things interesting, and the "story of the week" bits inside the overall "man trying to get home" arc are compelling enough without wading into deep philosophical ponderings like a lot of "trying way too hard to be serious" sci-fi can be these days.

JT,
I liked it from the first episode so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
Like JT says, it is a character driven show, and it takes a while to flesh out the characters and the universe and the story line and so forth, but IMO only it is worth the effort. The show also takes a lot of chances - tons of mini-arcs and 2 and 3 part episodes and regulars who sometimes 'show up' without much explanation and so forth. And the characters themselves run the gamut from really appealing to incredibly irritating (depends on your personal preference).

That said, as I put in my original listing of science-fiction shows, again purely IMO there are a LARGE number of A++ episodes interspersed with some really, really bad ones (bottle shows in particular get grating at times, or anything involving Moya or sickness or whatever) but the originality in the alien races and the universe itself is very appealing in a way that most other shows are not (take for example, the much touted Firefly which is akin to a western than science-fiction with a 'family-type' atmosphere - Farscape is more 'All in the Family' type of family - totally dysfunctional, much of the times).

Persevere, but if you don't start liking some of the characters (I detested Chiana and did like Pilot but liked D'Argo, Sun, Crichton, and most of the others, including the baddie), it will grate on you...but I loved 1812....
typo -
I did not care for pilot...
ST Other Series (name and why?)

STDS9 because of its realistic depictions of how war affects people. (for example, Nog's PTSD)

Also because it had a lot of complex characters. We start off with the Ferengias greedy buffoons, and end with some of them being heroes. Nog telling Sisko why he wanted to go to Starfleet was one of the most memorable speeches in the whole ST universe. Plus knowing that Nog didn't even know how to read (at least English) until Jake taught him to made it even more poignant. This was someone who busted his ass for that chance.

I also liked Sisko and his dealings with the "prophets" or worm-whole aliens.