No. of Recommendations: 0
I will see the movie on first day of release.
I'll see it, but not too excited about it.
I'd prefer they not even make the movie.
The movie will suck, I will throw eggs at the theater.
When the revolution comes, those bastards will be the first ones to go

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
If anyone points out my spelling errors, I intend to do another poll about people who point out spelling errors on message boards.

Fair warning.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Well, I can't really vote in the poll because I have no clue who or what it is about but I never go to the movies anyway, I pay dearly for my dish with all the channels so I patiently wait for it to arrive on HBO or the like.

Lately, when checking this board, I find I can't relate anything anyone is reading because I've never heard of them, so tell me, how does everyone here find the authors they are reading? How do you just know you're going to like a particular author if you know nothing of his or her work? I go to a bookstore or library and hardly know where to begin because all I know are the "safe" authors due to their well known success. Is there a website that critiques books and authors that one can peruse to "bone up" on what's good and know what to obtain on ones next trip to Borders???

Thanks,
Kathy
Is there a website that critiques books and authors that one can peruse to "bone up" on what's good and know what to obtain on ones next trip to Borders???

Well, there's this one.

I've found some good books through this thread (Tim Powers) but mostly I just wander through the stacks at the library until I find something that looks interesting.

I don't really read many book reviews because tastes tend to vary so widely ... I like all the genres except for romance and westerns.

Right now I'm reading Robert Ludlum's latest, which is pretty much identical to every other novel he's written.

Had to cheat on the Umberto Eco book and jump to the end, the book is in SERIOUS need of editing.
"Well, I can't really vote in the poll because I have no clue who or what it is about......"

Ditto, ditto!!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Patrick O'Brian is the English author of a series of books (14 if I remember correctly) generally referred to as the "Aubrey/Maturin novels."

The books are very popular with lots of dedicated fans (hence my poll, I have found that often the more fanatical fans of a novel or series tend to complain a lot when a movie is made of it). Someone even published a cookbook to explain the food the characters eat in the novels (spotted dick and so forth).

Once you get started on the first, you are bound to read them all. They are "historical fiction." The primary events (battles) in each novel are portrayed faithfully, and the books are very detailed, but it is the characters that draw you in.

The setting of the novels is way back when the English were fighting off the French (1790 - 1820, if I remember correctly) in battles involving big ships with lots of cannons. The main characters are members of the English Royal Navy.

There are two main characters that continue throughout the series are Captain Aubry and Doctor Maturin. Aubry is a big galoot, gallant and warm-hearted, fierce in battle, likes his food and loves women. Maturin is a smaller, darker man, a dedicated naturalist and a master spy on behalf of England. They always serve together on the same ship, Aubry as the captain, Maturin as the ship's doctor.

It's impossible to describe what makes the series great, but if you like to read I urge you to at least give the first in the series (I think it was "Master and Commander") a try; if it's not your cup of tea, nothing lost, but if you like it (as most people do) you have a year or two of great reading to look forward to.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Actually there are 20 in the series. Patrick O'Brian died while writing the 21st.

It's impossible to describe what makes the series great, but if you like to read I urge you to at least give the first in the series (I think it was "Master and Commander") a try; if it's not your cup of tea, nothing lost, but if you like it (as most people do) you have a year or two of great reading to look forward to.

As a bona fide POB fanatic, I want to take slight issue with the above advice. Master and Commander can be hard to read. O'Brian put in an incredible amount of description of the ship and battles (my eyes really glazed over at times). He was never so descriptive in his later books.

Besides, in many ways it's really the story of Maturin and James Dillon. I don't think O'Brian thought about making it a series at the time he wrote it. I do recommend you slog through it. The next in the series is "Post Captain" and there you hit paydirt. They only get better and better.

Thuvia