Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Just trying to get some activity, or discussion going, but it is a thought I've had. Was trying to google for an article as a reference point, but security or bank safes came coming up, so just starting here.

In groups sometimes, I've heard discussions by people suffering with depression, sometimes concurrent with anxiety, talk about "personal safe spaces." These spaces are not always a physical place to be. I think usually such a safe space is a mix of both physical safety and an emotional sense of safety. Sometimes it is a space that can be created anywhere, if specific conditions (can be specific to each individual and his/her needs) are met.

For me, my apartment is an obvious sort of personal safe space, but I have different zones within my apartment. (I also have a hoarding issue and I think this is actually an elaborate extension of my need of a sense of safety gone awry.)

When I used to work, I had certain spaces in each office, though sometimes I would just dash to the bathroom cubicle for a few minutes to gather myself, or feel more centered and stable.

Would love any input on the topic.

Lois Carmen D.
Yes, have 1 or more fixed safe spaces, or zones.
I can create a safe space easily if/when needed.
Sometimes have one, or sometimes have access.
No, or very limited accessibility, not sure.
Does not apply / just lurking.

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.