62% (1619 Votes)
Walt Disney Co.
 24% (646 Votes)
News Corp.
 12% (337 Votes)
The New York Times Co.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Food for thought: Has anyone considered taking away AOL for consideration as the Rule Maker in Internet Media and taking a look at AOL-Time Warner as the Rule Maker in Diversified Media (yes, that question was way to long)? Granted, at this time we don't know how things will shake out with the new company but we do know that AOL will no longer be just an Internet media company. The new company will definitely be a diversified media company. We just don't know how it will look at this time but it's something to begin considering.

Thanks
No. of Recommendations: 1
{{Which Diversified Media company should be considered for the Rule Maker Portfolio's next $2,000 investment?}}

I guess I was surprised to see these three (and only three) choices offered: Disney, News, NYTimes.

What about CBS/Viacom, for instance? At least it's run by two business maniacs, rather than an egomaniac, nepotism backwater, or just backwater, respectively.

In fact in searching this board for either CBS or Viacom, I get about 8 hits for each, and the ones I checked were peripheral mentions at best. They're in radio, TV, cable, production, outdoor, satellite backhaul and more.

If you want "diversified", where's EW Scripps? (print, TV, cable, syndication) Perhaps Tribune deserves a looksee. (print, TV, cable, online, radio) I'm sure there are others, perhaps even better.

The biggest problem with both Disney and News is "succession". Both are led by tyrants who brook no opposition, who are nearing "the age", and who have no obviously qualified successor in place. I don't know about the NYTimes, I don't follow them.
Has anyone considered taking away AOL for consideration as the Rule Maker in Internet Media and taking a look at AOL-Time Warner as the Rule Maker in Diversified Media (yes, that question was way to long)?

Yup.

Recently, I've done Rule-Maker spreadsheets for Time Warner and News Corp. They're both pretty weak. I'm not sure how to analyze AOL on its own. But the AOL/TWX merger is interesting. Maybe a CBS for the 21st century?

Morris
Recently, I've done Rule-Maker spreadsheets for Time Warner and News Corp. They're both pretty weak. I'm not sure how to analyze AOL on its own. But the AOL/TWX merger is interesting. Maybe a CBS for the 21st century?

Thanks. I hadn't actually looked at Time Warner's numbers. So the new company may not be a contender but I would think it would be compared to other Diversified Media companies. I voted in the Rule Maker poll and just didn't think that AOL should be considered as an Internet Media company. That's currently what they are but that will change when they become AOL Time Warner. Why not wait and analyze the new company?

Grroeb
Don't bother wasting your money on Disney. Mickey -- I mean Michael (Eisner) -- has lost his magic touch.