No. of Recommendations: 0
Before we bought the house it was determined during the inspection that some electrical stuff wasn't up to the code, and needed to get repaired. Without it the house would not pass the inspection, and we could not insure it. The sellers refused to pay for the repair. Our agent and the sellers' agent decided to split the cost of the repair, so that the deal could go through. But a day later we heard from the sellers' agent that the sellers were against their realtor paying for any portion of it (supposedly because we got such a bargain). We said that we still want to buy the house, and that we will pay for the repairs. We bought the house and moved in. Several months later we needed some electrical work done and it was discovered that there is a live ground wire somewhere. Today a team of electricians had to spend a whole day in the house to figure out where exactly it is and to repair it. During the repair process one of the electricians climbed on the attic and found a huge signed Star Trek poster, well preserved in a cardboard box. The previous owner's name was on the box. My husband thinks we should contact them through their agent and give this poster back to them. I would not hesitate to do so if they were nicer when we were buying the house. But now, I am not so sure. We had about $3,000 worth of electrical repairs (half of it from before we bought the house and half of it today). The thought of eBaying their poster and applying the proceeds towards the electrical repair bill crossed my mind. I am not asking if it's legal, but what would be the ethical solution.
Return the poster
Sell the poster
Other option (not the pants) - elaborate

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.