Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, I know some people love it.

And some people hate it.

Some people think it tastes like soap.

Some don't.

I'm pretty sure we all know this. Has this issue already been talked to death? Or are we waiting to see if Godwin's Law can be invoked?
Yes, we've had enough cilantro threads.
No, let's talk even more about cilantro!

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
Heck, as a perpetually-recurring topic it beats politics, with which most other boards are cluttered.

Although maybe people can be just as partisan about cilantro.
Heck, as a perpetually-recurring topic it beats politics, with which most other boards are cluttered.

Good point.

Every time the topic of Cilantro come up, we usually see two positions:
1. I love it—it tastes great
2. I hage it—it tastes like soap.

I've staked out a third position:
3. I like it even though I think it tastes slightly of soap.

(I admit it was an acquired taste for me.)

Oh, I almost forget. Someone usually brings up the genetic angle:
• If you parents like to eat soap, you'll probably like cilantro.

(Just kidding.)
I think I'm in that third group. I can see why people think it tastes like soap, but I don't really dislike it. It adds to some dishes and isn't good in others. Just like any other spice/herb.
First -- what's Godwin's law?

Second -- we can always change the topic by discussing who prefers the name "cilantro" and who prefers "coriander"! <joke>

sheila
what's Godwin's law?

The longer a thread gets, the more likely it is that someone will mention Hitler. I can't imagine der Führer having much of a cilantro connection, but you never know. :)

Cody
No. of Recommendations: 2
>>what's Godwin's law?

The longer a thread gets, the more likely it is that someone will mention Hitler. I can't imagine der Führer having much of a cilantro connection, but you never know. :) <<

Well there you go ;)

Kath
Surprised it is almost a tie so far! Heck, I voted for "enough"!

Now see my newest "yuck food" post. You can toss rocks at me for hating this popular food now, too! LOL!

Vermonter
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's law of Nazi Analogies) is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Put another way, Godwin puts forth the sarcastic observation that, given enough time, all discussions —regardless of topic or scope —inevitably wind up being about Hitler and the Nazis.