Kimmie Meissner
Alissa Czisny
Beatrisa Liang
Other (name her)
I love 'em all

Click here to see results so far.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I love 'em all, but I think Alissa is the prettiest and the best, and just might pull a medal in Torino, so she got my vote.
Which looks the hottest?
That is going to be difficult. Personally I like Emily Hughes, but I don't think it is her time yet.

I said Alissa Czisny just because I don't think Kimmie Meissner is consistent enough yet. She didn't do well in Paris.
I hope Kimmie doesn't hurt herself trying too much tough stuff. That has happened to too many young skaters, and Jenny Kirk is just the latest victim thereof.
I hope Kimmie doesn't hurt herself trying too much tough stuff. That has happened to too many young skaters, and Jenny Kirk is just the latest victim thereof.

Yes, I liked Jenny Kirk. I was sad to hear she had retired.
Join the club. Jenny Kirk is a pretty and charming young lady, and skating needs more of those, not necessarily these jumping beans there are so many of these days.
Speaking of Paris, am I the only one who was sort of upset over the final scores? I have nothing against Mao Asada. I like Mao Asada. But Sasha Cohen should have scored light years ahead of her for the artistic components. Even if it didn't change the ranking, there is no way that her artistic score (I know I'm not calling it the right thing) should have been that low.

Mao can jump. Her skating is pretty in an unfinished and tentative way. But she skates without conviction. She's just sort of... there. I think she will be great in a few years when she gets some more experience and polish. I'd really, really like to see the score sheets to see what the judges were thinking.
I was a little upset as well. You could also tell the commentators did not agree. Not really sure what happened there. Of course the good thing is that apparently they now all get a printout after they skate with the scores for each individual element.
Mao out-technicalled Sasha. She got a boatload of points for the triple Axel, and Sasha messed up her last triple. That's -3 GOE's plus another point penalty for landing on her keester. And a lot of judges really haven't learnd how to do program component scores yet.
Oh she totally did out technical Sasha. But their artistic / program component scores were only different by 3 or 4 points. Which is just wrong.

Another thing I am sort of scared of is that they are giving Sahsa's spiral sequence a lower difficulty level because it doesn't have a Biellmann position in it. Which might be the case when some skaters do the positions Sasha does, but she does them so well (hitting a full split on most) that they are easily as difficult as a Biellmann. The new system might push *everyone* into hitting the "hard" positions adequately rather than learning how to do other positions really well. And that would be sad.

Can I also just say how much I am not looking forward to going through the whole new scoring system thing in gymnastics?
What did they do to the scoring in gymnastics?
Don't think it has happened yet. They didn't use it for the world's that just happened. But I think that was the last time they'll use the old code in major international competitions anyway.

Based (so they say) on the issues in the last Olympics, which were caused, mind you, by the incorrect application of perfectly good rules and the complete inability of a coaching staff to follow well established methods of dealing with such errors... Okay, okay, I'm done with the editorializing.

There will be 2 panels.

The A panel will give a score that starts at 0 and adds up points based on the difficulty of skills performed. They will only count the 10 most difficult skills. Basically, it will be impossible to get a perfect 10 with this system because I just can't see how someone could do 10 of the most difficult level of skill in one routine. They also judge whether the required elements are in (like gym-acro series, etc.).

The B panel will give a score based on execution. They will start from a perfect 10 and deduct from that. Falls will be -0.8 (instead of .5 like now). It looks like they will only deduct .1, .3, .5 or .8 for things. Which seems sort of unnecessarily restrictive, but is the least of my unhappiness.
Sounds like more opportunities to screw it up to me. The new system in skating is actually a very good one if it's done correctly, but this new one in gymnastics looks like a more complicated way to do the old system. Hope they get the bugs ironed out before Beijing.